Predator PH517-51 shuts down unexpectedly within a minute of starting up.

Options
2»

Answers

• NicholasV
    NicholasV Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay - I've been watching for a while to see exactly what the machine is doing, and how.

Starting from a 'clean install' with the Realtek audio drivers installed, the machine boots up normally with no 'Not installed' warnings, and I hear the Predator start-up sound.

However, at some point down the road, the machine starts giving the 'Not installed' warnings, there is no Predator start-up sound, and - most annoyingly - the audio line-out jack I plug my headphones into stops working (although I can still use my headphones by using a USB-to-line-out adaptor).
    Checking the Device Manager panel at this point, the Realtek drivers have been uninstalled and replaced with generic drivers.

Uninstalling the generic audio drivers and rebooting the machine sorts it - mercifully, the Realtek drivers are re-installed on reboot - but only until Microsoft once again decide they know more about Acer products than Acer does. :s

I've disabled automatic updating of non-Microsoft software and drivers... watch this space.
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    That's quite weird.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • NicholasV
    NicholasV Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited June 2022
    Options
    @XdxD: You're telling me. :)

My best guess is that this relates to the issue a lot of other Predator owners seem to be having with Windows 10 / Windows 11 'updating' drivers that have nothing to do with Windows.

My question is: what the hell's gotten into Microsoft?
    We all know they're arrogant - but seriously: arrogant enough to replace drivers matched to hardware with their own generic quivalent, and expect that there won't be pushback?
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    Try this once:
    After doing step 2 as you mentioned here, download this tool (Download wushowhide - MajorGeeks) and run it. Click next and then choose 'Hide Updates'. Then post the screenshot. I want to see what it is offering for installation which happens after restart.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!