G5910 won't post after failed bios update

Options
krrrrazyk
krrrrazyk Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Greetings to all. It all started with attempts to remedy a no shutdown/no sleep problem. The board will restart, but won't shutdown or go to sleep properly. I decided to try a bios update from the initial release(01), to the final release(04). The windows option would not work/engage and complete, so I tried DOS, and just said it couldn't read the file. Then I tried a work around from Youtube advice, which went through the programming steps in DOS, it completed, but something went wrong because now it won't post. Does anyone know if I can recover this board, and if I'm lucky enough to get it going again, how to fix the shutdown/sleep issue, and bios updating that didn't work as per the included instructions? Thanks very much.  

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options
    Did you try to run the BIOS update WIN executable or DOS batch files from Win7?

Jack E/NJ

• krrrrazyk
    Options
    I tried to run the windows bios install in Windows 10 and 7. I both cases the program lauched, then disappeared. The DOS batch file would just give an error/incompatibility message when attempted to run in windows.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Then I tried a work around from Youtube advice, which went through the programming steps in DOS, it completed, but something went wrong because now it won't post.>>>I tried to run the windows bios install in Windows 10 and 7.>>>

Sorry, I don't know what work around you're referring to?

The WIN EXE should've been done under the Win7 environment due to the even greater risk of bricking the machine under Win10. Furthermore, whatever issues you had with its sleep/shutdown behavior should not have been an issue under the Win7 since there are no BIOS updates or drivers that relate to this in their descriptions. However, Win7 era legacy BIOS machines are known to exhibit behavior like this under Win10. And there are no BIOS updates later than 2012 that would even address Win10 issues 

At this point, about all I can suggest is that you download and unzip the original P01.A1 version on another machine. Then search the decompressed Windows and DOS subdirectories for a file with a ROM or BIN extension. The file should be renamed to AMIBoot.ROM and then copied to the root directory of a FAT32 formatted USB stick preferrably with an activity LED.

Insert the stick. Turn the machine on and IMMEDIATELY press and hold the Ctrl+Home keys until you see sustained LED activity on the stick. If successful, the machine should auto re-boot after 3 or 4 minutes. You may have to re-enter the BIOS with the DEL key on startup to set BIOS defaults so it boots to Windows again.

Jack E/NJ

• krrrrazyk
    Options
    By "work around", I tried running the bios update in DOS by just running the command "afudos [xxxxxx.rom]", with out any options following the command, as you will see in the bat file. That was a mistake on my part. Now I suffer the consequences.  I just tried the bios recovery now,  as per your instructions, but I won't be able to make the attempt, as it seems the motherboard is not applying +5v to the usb ports, because my usb stick won't light up on any of the ports. The stick works fine on another pc. 
  • JackE
    Options
    (1) The laptop should be off when the stick is inserted.
    (2) Press & hold Ctrl+Home before turning machine on.
    (3) While still holding Ctrl+Home, then turn machine on

Jack E/NJ

• krrrrazyk
    Options
    Its a desktop. I have a Sandisk flash drive that normally lights as soon as you plug it into a usb port on a PC that is on. When you read data from the drive, the light goes off and on a few times quickly during the read. The problem now, is that the drive is not lighting at all on the bad motherboard, on any port.
  • JackE
    Options

Please!!! The USB stick won't light if the PC is off!!!!!! Doesn't matter if the PC is a laptop or desktop. It must be turned OFF!!!

(1) Insert the stick with the PC  turned OFF!!!!

(2) Press & hold Ctrl+Home BEFORE turning PC on.

(3) While still holding Ctrl+Home, then turn PC on.

Jack E/NJ

• krrrrazyk
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Are you suggesting this process should work even if the usb stick does not light when the PC is turned on? BTW- I followed your instructions in your last post. I can't see how anything can happen if the usb stick light does not come on, when power is applied to the PC.
  • JackE
    Options
    Did you also have the CTRL+HOME keys pressed at the same time that you turned on PC?

Jack E/NJ

• krrrrazyk
    Options
    Yes. You can also see that there is no power to the keyboard when the PC is powered on. I think I'll buy a pre-programmed bios chip and solder it on. I do appreciate your help and time to weigh in on this problem. Thanks very much JackE!
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> think I'll buy a pre-programmed bios chip and solder it on.>>>

Yes, I agree this is probably the best way to proceed. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes. :)

Jack E/NJ