Acer TC-391 very slow image transfer

thebreeze
thebreeze Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
Hello, back again. I have an Acer Aspire TC-391,16GB memory running Windows 10 Home version. I am having issues moving image files. The transfer is very slow. Thought it might be the SDHC card but it does it with all cards. Here is the run down of the issue. I have a 2GB, 16GB or a 32GB SDHC card with with lets say fifteen or up to 200 camera images on it. I insert a SDHC in the card reader. The computer recognizes the card. I open the card and it eventually shows DCIM. I open the DCIM and eventually the image file folder opens. When I attempt to drag and drop or double click on an image file to move it into my image software manager it might move immediately or it may take about thirty seconds or so. No real pattern to it. It is random. I did some trouble shooting. I can open any previously saved image files and can drag and drop or double click any of them and it opens immediately into the Paint Shop Pro #9 software. I can also drag image files from the net and they transfer fine. I use Sandisk Ultra cards. I tired a few different Sandisk Ultra SDHC cards and they all have the same issue. All my Image files show a preview of the image in the file icon. I would appreciate some help if possible. Thanks.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    What are you using for an antivirus? When you first plug the SD card in the AV might be scanning and every access to the card would be quite slow until it's done. Some would redo the scan each time the file structure changes, causing symptoms that would persist much longer.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    You have to beware that SDHC cards are naturally slow.
    Billsey tip is good.
    I googled "SDHC Card slow" seems that formatting to NTFS is helpful .

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    What are you using for an antivirus? When you first plug the SD card in the AV might be scanning and every access to the card would be quite slow until it's done. Some would redo the scan each time the file structure changes, causing symptoms that would persist much longer.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    You have to beware that SDHC cards are naturally slow.
    Billsey tip is good.
    I googled "SDHC Card slow" seems that formatting to NTFS is helpful .
  • thebreeze
    thebreeze Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Thank you for the input. :)
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @thebreeze

I know your question has been answered by other members. If you feel it slow while transferring image files, transferring sizable video files will be a bigger pain.

Your TC-391 has 5 G bit/s=625 M Byte/s front panel port, which isn't too bad for transferring  files.

My suggestion:

Go buy an external M.2 NVMe SSD adapter (USD $15-$35) and a low end PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD (something close to 2,200 MB/s read is fine,  already greatly exceeded the speed of the 5 G bit/s port). I believe you can achieve something close to 625 M Byte/s, which is still faster than a 2.5" SATA3 SSD.