Acer Aspire 1 a114-31 data recovery

Options
Hi all,

Customer asked me to recover their laptop after forgotting password.

Usually I do that in 5 minutes with hiren's boot but with this laptop I have issue.

- Any attempt of recovery it asks for password again.
- Recover with PIN (customer doesnt remember any kind of pin)
- Recover with USB (same from customer)
- Hiren's boot (no boot options in bios only "windows manager" boot)
- Final solution take out HDD and save customer pictures (but! there is no HDD to take out)

How can I help? What can I do?

Thank you

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Likely the model is one where there is an eMMC drive soldered to the motherboard. If the customer has used a Microsoft account for their initial login (and it's a Windows 10 era machine, so they would have had to jump through hoops to avoid it) then they just need to go through the password reset procedure on the Microsoft site then make sure the laptop is connected to the network before using the new password. The new password will work as long as the laptop can get to Microsoft's login servers.
    I haven't used Hiren's in ages (sometime in the W8 era IIRC), I assume they've done updates that allow for UEFI Booting? They didn't the last time I tried and that is a real issue with any modern machines... To boot on any foreign image you need to use the boot menu, which has to be enabled in the BIOS (by default it's disabled) and to disable secure boot (by default it's enabled). Once those changes are done in the BIOS you can put any UEFI boot flash drive in and the boot menu should list it and allow the boot to proceed. Remember when you are done with diagnostics and repair to enable secure boot and disable the boot menu again in order for their security to be back to normal.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • localpcservice
    localpcservice Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Thanks for response, no it is not Microsoft account it is windows local account, about bios thing and secure boot it is grayed out and it doesnt allow changes, also just to note there is no password on bios.

I can't even use windows setup USB

What are options here other than unsolder the eMMC??? is it even possible? where is it located?
  • localpcservice
    Options
    Okay needed to set supervisor password to be able to disable secure boot.

However it does not help, I stick windows setup USB and restart pressing F12 and boot menu jumps on screen but all I can select is "windows boot manager 032g34"

I tried formating with rufus, MBR, GPT, FAT, NTFS however always same.
  • localpcservice
    Options
    Solved using ventoy
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I assume you are using a W10 install image... With Rufus the partition scheme should be GPT and the Target System should be UEFI. The filesystem will be dependent on the ISO or IMG file. What image are you working with?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.