Where can I find my product key?

Options
Emblem
Emblem Member Posts: 0 Newbie
I decided to reset my accounts for everything because my previous accounts were unorganized and other stuff. I've been setting up my computer, and I've been getting so many problems. I should probably stop, and I'm very mad, but I'm not stopping until I'm done. Anyway, I was trying to install norton. It needs my product code. I looked up how to find my product key, and found that it should be somewhere on the box. "Oh. That thing? I threw it away the day I got it!" I don't have an email with it either anymore. Next, I looked into the command prompt. I used "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" and another that I don't have pulled up - same result. I typed it in even manually, but Norton says that the product key is invalid. It really shouldn't be, but it is. Are there two different types of product key or something, or is this a Norton problem? Or better yet, am I missing something gigantic?

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    On any windows device, open command prompt as administrator and run the below command:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

If Norton says invalid product key, then you might want to contact Norton for troubleshooting, or maybe check if the time frame with Norton for that key expired.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool are quite adequate these days for most users. Furthermore,  non-M icro soft scanners are increasingly causing issues with browser behavior and interactive web content,

However, if for some reason you still feel the need for this 3rd party scanner, it depends on what you mean by reset your accounts. If you mean that you reset the ACER OEM Windows version to a factory fresh out of the box state using the ALT+F10 cold boot method or from the AcerCareCenter, then it should already be included in the initial setup as when you first acquired the machine if it was bundled in the ACER software package.

If you reset the Windows system any other way --- for example the generic non-OEM Windows version using Microsoft's  media creation tool --- then it probably wouldn't be included unless you have a paid scanner subscription. The elevated command 'wmic os get serialnumber'  might still reveal the OEM Windows product key. But I think the scanner is looking for its own product key that might've been bundled in the original OEM Windows setup

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    You can usually get a product key for non-Microsoft products by contacting the developer, so Norton in this case. If you registered when you started using it (and IIRC they require that) they will give you the key for the reinstallation.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.