Battery report: connected standby not supported aspire 7736

Options
Denkawa
Denkawa Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hi,
I'm sorry for my English but for many sentences I used Google Translate because my English isn't so good.

I have an old Acer Aspire PC that had a non-working battery and after taking it apart I discovered that it was made up of 6 18650 cells, so I got some new ones and tried to replace them.

It used to have Samsung 2200mAh, while now I have Samsung 2900mAh installed.

After completing the replacement, with a tester I've read 10.5V of the battery pack, I've tried to turn on the PC and it does not turn on so after connecting it to the mains I've turned it on and the battery was at 0%, but it did not intend to charge and it was not possible to make a battery report.

Thinking that it could be an undervoltage problem I re-disassembled it and charged it directly bypassing the BMS and bringing it to 12.6V.

After turning on the PC, the battery shows 100% charge but if it is not connected to the mains, the PC does not work. Running a battery report I get these results:

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Now my question is: does it not work for a firmware reason having different cells from the originals or have I somehow (maybe while I was soldering) ruined the BMS or what else? Was it a failed experiment or can something be done?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me, good evening,
Denis

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,692 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The original battery pack has an internal charge control regulator that is based on the old individual cell capacity, not the new ones that you installed. Your battery report and regulator cannot be relied on to work properly with your laptop's own charge control circuitry. Accordingly, the battery pack will likely not charge due to a fire hazard. Google search aspire 7736 & battery for vendors who ship the correct replacement battery pack to your location. About $40usd.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,692 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The original battery pack has an internal charge control regulator that is based on the old individual cell capacity, not the new ones that you installed. Your battery report and regulator cannot be relied on to work properly with your laptop's own charge control circuitry. Accordingly, the battery pack will likely not charge due to a fire hazard. Google search aspire 7736 & battery for vendors who ship the correct replacement battery pack to your location. About $40usd.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @Denkawa,

Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customerselfcare.acer.com/CS2/#/