Acer Nitro 5 AN-515-55 with no disk space & fans running like crazy.

NickPlayz
NickPlayz Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited April 2022 in Windows 11
Hi there - thanks for responding to me. I am currently unable to use my Acer Nitro 5 without extreme degraded performance & the fans running extraordinarily loud. 
Things to note:
Acer Nitro 5 AN-515-55
Storage/Disc: Over 170 GB Free
Time issue started to appear and/or how: Friday, March 15, 2022. I had just used my computer (for the first time in at least 1 1/2 months) to load up a website for Starlink, as we are looking in to better connections. I noticed the fans running louder than usual, as long with some performance issues. I closed Google Chrome (Web browser in use), along with all other programs. When looking in task manager, I find out that 80% of my memory is being used with no applications ( other than task manager ) open. I know that some apps, such as chrome & discord run apps in the background - I went through and closed as many of background applications as possible, only giving me around 5% of my memory back. The first issue was Windows Built-In Antivirus. I switched over to Norton, dropping down to around 70%, but still loud & degraded for no open applications. Image of TM with only Chrome, TM, and ST open: I have went through multiple times closing unneeded applications, but it only drops around 30%. Please help me as I heavily rely on my computer to play with friends & family, as long as schoolwork.
More Info/Specs: Current hard drive in use: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050
Intel Core i5 built-in, currently using Nvidia.
External devices plugged in: One Acer Mouse
When opening NitroSense, fans are well around 3000 RPM with 0 applications open. Please help as this issue is the first ever I've ever had with this, and I am new to the acer community.

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @NickPlayz you can try to check for updates first. If the updates are running, they will make the fans run.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @NickPlayz,

If you notice the computer fan running constantly and making an abnormal or loud noise, this might indicate that the computer is not running as efficiently as possible, and/or clogged air vents. It is important to keep dust from accumulating in your computer and ensure adequate ventilation to help reduce heat.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    Run Resource Monitor instead of Task Manager and show us the memory tab with it sorted by the Commit column.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,858 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022
    NickPlayz said:
    Hi there - thanks for responding to me. I am currently unable to use my Acer Nitro 5 without extreme degraded performance & the fans running extraordinarily loud. 
    Things to note:
    Acer Nitro 5 AN-515-55
    Storage/Disc: Over 170 GB Free
    Time issue started to appear and/or how: Friday, March 15, 2022. I had just used my computer (for the first time in at least 1 1/2 months) to load up a website for Starlink, as we are looking in to better connections. I noticed the fans running louder than usual, as long with some performance issues. I closed Google Chrome (Web browser in use), along with all other programs. When looking in task manager, I find out that 80% of my memory is being used with no applications ( other than task manager ) open. I know that some apps, such as chrome & discord run apps in the background - I went through and closed as many of background applications as possible, only giving me around 5% of my memory back. The first issue was Windows Built-In Antivirus. I switched over to Norton, dropping down to around 70%, but still loud & degraded for no open applications. Image of TM with only Chrome, TM, and ST open: I have went through multiple times closing unneeded applications, but it only drops around 30%. Please help me as I heavily rely on my computer to play with friends & family, as long as schoolwork.
    More Info/Specs: Current hard drive in use: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050
    Intel Core i5 built-in, currently using Nvidia.
    External devices plugged in: One Acer Mouse
    When opening NitroSense, fans are well around 3000 RPM with 0 applications open. Please help as this issue is the first ever I've ever had with this, and I am new to the acer community.

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Listen NickPlayz 85% on Device Manager > Memory and 3000rpm on fans (gpu is always like that and cpu should be 2000rpm) with 0 applications open is nothing unusual or getting crazy as its normal for the cpu/gpu, could be that your vents are dirty and/or blocked or their bearings are shot as even if your fans are slightly dirty and blocked they could affect rpm’s and temps, with memory its because you probably only have minimum 8GB of RAM, as increasing and having max RAM capacity and having the laptop in a cool and/or under a laptop tablet cooler will fix all those issues but, check the fans bearings if they are damaged if they are dirty and full of felt that can block fans after even 3 to 6 months if not cleaned, also and having 170GB free drive space is also ok and shouldn’t slow your laptop down. With the memory the system adjusts random memory accordingly and limits the affect that memory for application and for your laptop to work at its peak performance!

To increase performance you need to do some maintenance such as “Disk Cleanup” and also “Cleanup system files” at This PC > right click boot drive and Properties. As all this will make sure that you drive is cleaned out of allot of unnecessary files that slow OS’s down, also, make sure that you have all the windows updates, latest NVidia drivers, RTX experience and latest Intel drivers like graphics, chipsets etc for Win-11 up to date.

I’ve got a similar but a newer Nitro 5 laptop than you with an external Mouse plugged in I’ve done all that I’ve suggested above and its virtually the same specs and my system has 32GB RAM (2x DDR4-3200MHz) and I’ve also changed the M.2 boot drive to bigger and more speedy OEM M.2 drive of the 1TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD with the optional 2.5” SSD which is a 4TB Samsung QVO slave drive and my laptop works 100% its very speedy and never ever slow. Do all the things that I’ve done as your laptop is behaving like it is because you have not maintained it properly and have done all the above.