BSOD ON RESTART Acer Aspire 5 ( A525-56-52MV)

Options
BarryG
BarryG Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2022 in Windows 11
Purchased an Acer Aspire 5 ( A525-56-52MV)
about a week ago and always get a BSOD  (Kmode exception not handled) on Restart.Tried changing QuickStart off, Sfc, Dism, Acer Care tests, etc,
I then tried a reinstal from the cloud.which didn't  fix the problem.
Finally decided to do a local restore which crashed, leaving me with a brick.
Retailer suggested Windows  10, which he installed.
My machine is running perfectly  on Windows  10.
However: I purchased this machine purely get Windows  11 capability.
Am managing  on Windows 10, but could  have kept my old laptop if that was to be the outcome!
Help!!!

{ edited the title to add model name } 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,006 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022
    Options
    BarryG said:
    Purchased an Acer Aspire 5 ( A525-56-52MV)
    about a week ago and always get a BSOD  (Kmode exception not handled) on Restart.Tried changing QuickStart off, Sfc, Dism, Acer Care tests, etc,
    I then tried a reinstal from the cloud.which didn't  fix the problem.
    Finally decided to do a local restore which crashed, leaving me with a brick.
    Retailer suggested Windows  10, which he installed.
    My machine is running perfectly  on Windows  10.
    However: I purchased this machine purely get Windows  11 capability.
    Am managing  on Windows 10, but could  have kept my old laptop if that was to be the outcome!
    Help!!!

The "Kmode exception not handled" BSOD is because of faulty drivers or drivers that are not up to date especially with Win-11 and your laptop, as this laptop really functions on mainly Intel drivers.  The specs of the Aspire A515-56-52MV are more than adequate to run Win-11 OS perfectly. I would update the bios to the last version 1.26 in Win-10 that you have working perfectly first, as your bios might be too old as its common when you buy a new laptop that its OEM bios is old and not the latest, this is especially now with Win-11 OS (Note: be very careful as doing a bios update wrongly will brick your laptop) do the bios update with no software running, laptop plugged into mains power, disable any anti-virus and make sure that BSOD is not happening in Win10! 

Then do a clean install of Win-11 that formats your boot drive completely with no trace of Win-10 on your boot drive. I experienced the same thing with an upgrade of Win-11 from Win-10 on a new Nitro 5 AN515-56 as it gets buggy and doing a clean install worked perfectly. Here is a good guide of “How to do a clean installation of Windows 11” as and if you can’t change the boot order to USB in bios this explains to you exactly what to do, so read this thoroughly as then Win-11 will work 100%.

Also make sure, once you have installed Win-11 that you install the Intel Driver & Supprot Assistant and update all Intel drivers to their latest for Win-11 and all other drivers that are missing after Win-11 install in Device Manager, you get them from the Acer Drivers & Manuals for your Aspire A515-56-52MV. Also and remember that the latest and appropriate Win-11 drivers are crucial in Win-11 to operate properly and in my opinion that is what you didn’t do properly before, as Win-11 works 100% and without major BSOD bugs, ok it has some bugs but your BSOD is not one of the major ones and they should not be happening.

• BarryG
    Options
    Many thanks - try it today
  • BarryG
    Options
    Hi - Tried the above steps exactly and thought I had a Win. It worked twice and then went back to its old problem. Repeated the tests and instructions, but no luck.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Maybe an Aspire A515-56? I can't find an A525 model... The A515-56 model lines uses the Intel Tiger Lake chipset and processors (11th gen). Intel has been doing a bunch of updates for their drivers to better work in the W11 environment, and because they have to be regression tested by Acer before they can go up on the Acer support site, they show up on Intel's site much sooner and more often than on Acer's. Verify that all drivers from Intel are their latest instead of the latest from Acer or Microsoft. Microsoft at least will sometimes do a downgrade by just installing the old one right over the top of the new one...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BarryG
    Options
    Did all suggestions and finally gave up
    Sadly, this was a replacement for my original machine of the same model - first one wouldn't charge.
    After two weeks of no working machine, I reluctantly gave up on Acer snd obtained another brand Laptop - it works fine!