USB-C question. Aspire A717-72G

jdoon5261
jdoon5261 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 2022 in Windows 11
I hooked my Aspire A717-72G to my desktop computer using a USB-C to USB 3.1 cable. neither computer "sees" the other one. There are no USB-C drivers listed in Device Manager. Is there supposed to be? Is this connection not allowed for some reason?
The cable works for file transfer from my phone to both my computers, so I know it's not the cable. This is the first time I've tried using the USB-C port on my laptop. I also upgraded(?) to Win11. Not sure if that was a good idea but there's no going back now.

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    jdoon5261 said:
    I hooked my laptop to my desktop computer using a USB-C to USB 3.1 cable. neither computer "sees" the other one. There are no USB-C drivers listed in Device Manager. Is there supposed to be? Is this connection not allowed for some reason?
    The cable works for file transfer from my phone to both my computers, so I know it's not the cable. This is the first time I've tried using the USB-C port on my laptop. I also upgraded(?) to Win11. Not sure if that was a good idea but there's no going back now.
    Get a 3.0 USB bridging cable and try that as connecting your PC laptop and desktop through USB ports requires a special bridging cable. These cables are also called USB networking cables, as they can "network" two computers through USB ports. Bridging cables look similar to male-to-male USB cables, but with chips in the middle of the cable (encased in hard plastic) that enable file transfers.
    • USB bridging cables come in many forms, including USB-A to USB-A (standard USB on both ends) and USB-A to USB-C. Check both the desktop and the laptop to see what types of USB ports they have, and make sure to get the right cable.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Windows by default doesn't do both client and server modes on the USB ports simultaneously. That is why the bridging cable is needed. Ethernet, WiFi and Bluetooth are all using networking protocols that aren't inherent in USB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.