Urgent! Is a BIOS Update Required?

CRay154
CRay154 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 2022 in All-In-One PCs

Dear, All!

Hope you are all well.

I have brought my 'new' cpu, an intel i7 - 3370 for the purpose of replacing my ageing second generation i3 cpu.

I have BIOS version POI - A4 on my PackardBell onetwo computer. I have checked the compatability and the i7 will fit in the LGA 1155 socket.

The only problem is, do I need to upgrade my BIOS version for this cpu replacement?

If so, which version do I have to upgrade it to to be compatible with the intel i7 - 3370?

I checked the back of my PackardBell onetwo L5861, and it says that it is an Acer Group product.

I checked the Packardbell website for any BIOS updates, and there was only one availbale for an earlier version.

I then checked the motherboards manufacturer to see if I can download a BIOS update from them. Unfortunately, the motherboards manufacturer is Packardbell too!

Since Packardbell is a part of Acer now, please can you help me.

1) Does an intel upgrade from i3 - 2100 to i7 3370 really require a BIOS upgrade? (BIOS Version POI- A4, Release Date: 03/08/2011)

2) Where can I access a BIOS update for my PackardBell onetwo?

3) Who is the manufacturer of the packardbell motherboards? Is it Acer?

Any further information would be greately appreciated!

Thanking you,

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    @CRay154 choose all instead of the lastest tab on the right-hand side. P01.A4 is the latest BIOS version. The B3 might be for different motherboard revisions. https://www.packardbell.com/pb/en/GB/content/download. You can try to use Acer updater to see if it gets a new bios for you. Or use CPU-Z to check for the chipset name and search for the compatible CPU. 
    Since you already have bought the CPU, it is worth trying to upgrade it.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • CRay154
    edited April 2022
    Dear, @AnhEZ28!

Thankyou so much for your help and suppourt; it is much apppreciated.

I selected all and I was presented 2 BIOS updates:

P01.A4 3.2 MB2011/04/13
    (My version is also a PO1.A4, but mine has a slightly later release date of 03/08/2011)

P01.B3 2.1 MB2011/08/22. (This one is just 19 days more later then my current version)

Is the second one a valid BIOS update, or as you mentioned, is it for a different motherboard altogether?

The main problem is, I seached online to see which is the best CPU that can fit in the LGA 1155 socket, so I bought the i7-3370 to replace my i3-2100.

Then, after receiving it, I read all about BIOS issues, etc. and I am now wondering whether my computer (with BIOS version PO1.A4) will accept the new CPU?

Thats only my real concern

I tried to download acer updater, but it would not let me download it, even after I tried with another browser.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,

Have a great day!

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • CRay154
    Dear @AnhEZ28

Thankyou for the link. I will try it out