Acer Aspire TC-895-UA91 Desktop Power Cutting Out

helpout
helpout Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Greetings, my Acer Aspire desktop (TC-895-UA91 model) warranty period of 1 year expired in November of last year.  The power keeps going out.  The power cord that plugs into the back of the tower is very sensitive.  If I touch it the power goes out.  Any suggestions for warranty help or repair ?  Thanks in advance.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• helpout

Tinkerer

The cord is in good shape/undamaged and it plugs into the computer securely.  I played around with it a bit and noticed that if I lift the cord up a bit (thereby tilting the plug down) the power comes on.  But as soon as I let go of the cord the power is lost. 
  • helpout

Tinkerer

Does that still sound like a power cord issue or more likely a port issue or power supply issue ?
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Most TV's have the same AC cord to substitute but I'd bet that you have a loose connection within the box. It may me a loose cable or loose solder connection. 
    It may also be the wall socket that has the loose connection. Eliminate it by substitution another device or pull the cover and check for arced terminals with loose screws. (With that Circuit Breaker off). 
  • helpout

Tinkerer

I know the surge suppressor to wall socket connection is good because I have other things (like a cordless phone) plugged into the surge suppressor and the only thing that powers off is the computer.
  • helpout

Tinkerer

I see a "universal power cord" at a local Walmart.  So I will give it a try.  Larry thanks for the tv power cord swap suggestion but my TCL tv uses a two prong and my Acer desktop needs a three prong.
  • Larryodie
    Your monitor also may use it. 
    I really think that it would be arcing (burning) if you had a wire loose inside, same as a wall plug. 
    I'd look for a cable loose on the inside or tap around inside with a diddle stick or a plastic ball point pen.
  • helpout

Tinkerer

Bought a universal power cord but the problem persists.  I'm a novice when it comes to computer repair.  But if I dared to give your idea a try...the steps would be to just unplug the tower, open up the case and look for a loose cable ?  And if I find a loose cable then it would need to be screw tightened to secure it ?  Is there any kind of a troubleshooting video for this type of thing ?
  • Larryodie
    Sometimes you'll find it cheaper to take to a reputable computer repair shop in your neighborhood. 
  • Larryodie
    Cheaper than bricking the mother board, etc, etc.
    Maybe the word have been advisable. 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @helpout

Your case seemed to be some kind of loose connections. I'll suggest replacing the power cord and make sure you insert the cord firmly to the power supply. Also, if you have some kind of electrical contact cleaner (or alcohol), you can spary some to the power supply connector and let dry before inserting the cable.

Another thing to try is to press down/reseat on all connecting cables/wires to the motherboard.

In this link:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/664073/system-fan-4-pin-acer-tc-1660#latest

This thread is for a different model motherboard, but I want you to pay attention to the F-panel header of the motherboard diagram, should be in the similar area there . Make sure the connections to the pins of that header is firm enough, as one pin there is for the power to the PC.
  • helpout

Tinkerer

Thanks T, I did already replace the power cord and it makes a very tight connection to the power supply socket.  Could try the alcohol swab idea but the desktop is a little over a year old so thinking it would not be corroded so soon.
  • helpout

Tinkerer

Larryodie thanks I did end up experimenting with my other power cords.  Turns out both my monitor and printer use the same standard power cord.  When I plugged my factory Acer power cord into these other machines (Dell and Samsung) it was clear that the factory power cord was not gripping any of the sockets properly.  A new power cord helped but the problem persisted so had to replace the PSU as well.  Now, with both a new power cord and new PSU my computer is up and running again.  But it looks like there is an additional issue with the socket.  Really just poor build quality on the Acer machine I bought.