Acer Aspire 3682NWXCi laptop Hard disk

Czer88
Czer88 Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi,anyone know what model is the hard disk for acer aspire 3682NWXCi laptop are?i mean the original from factory hard disk.
2,what type/model/brand and how many "GB" is the maximum can mounted on this acer laptop?
3,Between samsung,seagate,hitachi,toshiba-which one is recommended the most?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer
    (1) Hitachi & Seagate ATA-100 series
    (2) Hitachi, Seagate, WesternDigital & Toshiba 80GB is safe maximum
    (3) Hitachi was used most in 40GB, 60GB or 80GB sizes.

Replacement HDDs can be found by google searching keywords 80GB & ata-100

Jack E/NJ

• Czer88
    I've just open my hard disk,but it did mention HM160HC it means the hard disk was 160GB.
  • JackE
    edited April 2022
    Looks like cover plate is corroded from moisture. Does it still work? Here is old advertisement with the 40GB HDD. http://ultimatelaps.blogspot.com/2011/07/acer-aspire-3682-nwxci-laptop-specs.html

Jack E/NJ

• Czer88
    The advertisement said the HDD was 40GB.But mine was 160GB.Im not sure wheter pc repair shop had change it because few years back then i did sent my laptop to repair,they said they change the HDD.Then after sometimes,the same error cane back again "Hard disk error".

My question here is,is it possible for me to change for the bigger GB of HDD?if yes,anyone can recommend me the brand,capasity(GB),RPM(i saw some online store from china sell different GB with different RPM.i had found "Toshiba,western digital,hitachi and other brand".some are new,used & refurbished.
  • Czer88
    @JackE I don't know if it still can be turn on.due to my battery had swollen.i was shocked when i open the battery packed,2pcs of batteries had gone!after the laptop error for the second time,i sent it to my cousin house to be repair because I didn't trust the pc repair shop due to the first repair but still had the same problem "hard disk error".i suspected my cousin had exchange the batteries & the battery charger too.

My next plan was to clean the motherboard using electrical contact cleaner,way too much dust on the motherboard after some while been put aside.

Next,i will change the hard disk,buy new batteries & charger.Is it possible for me to update the windows(upgrade)?
  • JackE
    Some mainboards will turn on plugged in without the battery. The 160GB HDD doesn't seem to be a factory-installed capacity which was usually either 40GB, 60GB or 80GB.. In fact, the BIOS may only recognize 80GB of the 160GB unless special Samsung software was installed to overcome the BIOS capacity limitation. Accordingly, if you buy any ATA-100 type HDD higher than 80GB, you should check that it includes software to overcome this limitation.

Jack E/NJ