Acer Aspire XC-1660G series Screen flickering + Green screen of death...why?

sk8dude128
sk8dude128 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello,

I just bought my Acer Aspire XC-1660G series for my home business from Walmart in person a few months ago. I really like this product but there is one big problem I am having. This products comes with (2) HDMI ports and I have two computer screens hooked up. One of the HDMI ports is completely failing, the screen is flickering and getting blurry and is completely unreadable AND also the screen turns completely green so you can't see anything. It is like the HDMI port hardware is faulty. I have updated the graphics drivers already. This problem makes the computer essentially unusable because the screen flickers on and off goes blurry and turns completely green. I have tried using different HDMI chords and monitors and the problem persist with only one of the HDMI ports. What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks,
sk8dude128

{ edited the title to add model name } 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    One of the HDMI ports is v1.4b. What frequencies and resolutions are you trying to drive it at? The other is higher prerformance v2b

Jack E/NJ

• sk8dude128

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    One of the HDMI ports is v1.4b. What frequencies and resolutions are you trying to drive it at? The other is higher prerformance v2b

@JackE
    I am only using this computer (XC-1660G)  for business so I am not trying to run the monitors at any high frequencies. I believe both of my monitors are 60hz right now. I am only using the 1920 x 1080 resolution on both monitors. What should I set the 1.4b one at?
  • sk8dude128

Tinkerer

what if you just swap the two HDMI plugs.
    does the other screen then flicker and green-out?
    @prunemaster
    Yes if I switch the cables the other monitor will start flickering fuzzy and going completely green/blank screen. So I know it's not the monitors or the cables. It must be the HDMI port.
  • sk8dude128

Tinkerer

Here are pictures of the green screen and the some of the flickering.

• sk8dude128

Tinkerer

oh goodness.  yes I can see it.  it's very green.
    is is plugged into mister HDMI #1
    or is it plugged into mister HDMI #2
    @prunemaster
    I believe it would be the HDMI port #2 because it is the one that is located on the bottom. 
  • sk8dude128

Tinkerer

The odd thing is sometimes it will work just fine, like right now the monitor is working fine. But if I open up a google chrome window in it and start working then the flickering starts and the green screen comes.
  • JackE
    1.4b port should be able to handle it. What happens to the 1.4b port  if the 2b port isn't used?

Jack E/NJ

• sk8dude128

Tinkerer

do you see mister HDMI #2 happily strolling in the Intel Graphics Command Center garden?

Yes I see HDMI #2 in the Graphics Command Center.
  • JackE
    >>>The odd thing is sometimes it will work just fine, like right now the monitor is working fine. But if I open up a google chrome window in it and start working then the flickering starts and the green screen comes. >>>

Aye! I just saw this! Google chrome browser and its second cousin Microsoft Edge are a notorious troublemakers. Chrome gobbles up resources. Unless you have a desperate need to use Chrome all the time, use FireFox most of the time.

Jack E/NJ

• sk8dude128

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    1.4b port should be able to handle it. What happens to the 1.4b port  if the 2b port isn't used?
    If I unplug the 2.0 port, the 1.4b still works, but the flickering/green screen will still happen on the 1.4b port. It's not a constant thing, it occurs every so often, usually when I am working and have a web browser up. So for example right now, both ports are working fine, but then sometimes the 1.4b port monitor will flicker and turn green. It happens enough too make you unable to use the computer and only the 2.0 port works perfectly with no problems.   
  • JackE
    >>>The odd thing is sometimes it will work just fine, like right now the monitor is working fine. But if I open up a google chrome window in it and start working then the flickering starts and the green screen comes. >>>

Aye! I just saw this! Google chrome browser and its second cousin Microsoft Edge are a notorious troublemakers. Chrome gobbles up resources. Unless you have a desperate need to use Chrome all the time, use FireFox most of the time.

Jack E/NJ

• sk8dude128

Tinkerer

edited April 2022
    JackE said:

@JackE
    Alright I will try using only Firefox and see what happens. I have seen the flickering/green screen happen even without chrome although it is much more rare. It is usually guaranteed to happen with Google Chrome. If I still have the same problem when using Firefox I will let you know.
  • JackE
    OK. But please let us know if FireFox eliminates the problem too. :)

Jack E/NJ