Acer X233H Monitor Flickering Turned Out to be More Complicated Problem

Options
ttttt
ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

I cannot understand what is wrong. Seemed to be multiple issues, maybe individual problem or related to each other.

Device Manager, monitor, VGA cable and new Intel graphics update?

The primary monitor (using VGA port of integrated graphics of UHD 750 of a self-build i5-11500 desktop, Win 10 Pro) of my pair of 10-13 year old Acer X233H showed intermittent flickering for a few weeks. The flickering was particularly bad within the first 20 minutes after boot up. Seemed it needed to warm up a little before stabled. To pin down the problem is really with the monitor, I made sure the VGA port connections to monitor and motherboard were tight and I even changed to another VGA cable.

The night before I changed the cable, I had the Intel HDR update performed with the Intel Driver and Support as it notified me of such. The cold boot in the next morning ended up with the mouse not visible on any of the screens.

What I have done so far:

1) After a few reboots, I found out the mouse pointer was visible at the Hello Password screen for just a couple seconds, and then it was stuck at the upper right hand corner of the second, extended monitor, and 99% of time not visible, sometimes I could see part of the mouse pointer, and right click there gave me a small drop down menu about display. I could not close it anymore with the left or right click. Also, sometimes when a window opened there full screen (with that “X” for closing a window close enough to the corner), I could close that window with left click.

2) I even changed to a third, brand new VGA cable.

3) Thinking that it maybe just a simple problem with a bad mouse driver, I managed to open the Device Manager and tried to uninstall driver there just using the keyboard and found that there were no yellow or question marks at all for all device. Seemed perfect there. Gee! just could not remember how to jump from place to place using keyboard combinations.

4) As I moved down to the Mouse section and tried to do something to uninstall mouse driver, I found out that there was only one General tab. Under the general tab there were only the “OK” or “Cancel” options. All other tabs were missing. Checked other devices and all of them only got one General tab.

So, THE DEVICE MANAGER GOT MESSED UP TOO.

5) Using a Restore Point dated a few days before the Intel graphics update and restored successfully, but problem persisted.

6) Booted up to a Deepin Linux residing on another SSD in the same PC (even though graphics drivers are still lousy, giving partly garbage display at the 2nd, extended monitor, as that is still normal with Intel UHD 750 graphics) and everything was fine, including the mouse. I guess that could rule out hardware problem. Booted to Deepin twice, and both times worked normally.

7) Changed several mice and inserted to different USB ports. I even tried to use an old PS/2 mouse with the PS/2 port, and the mouse problem persisted.

8) While trying to fix the problem, the PC was rebooted 20-30 times, and at one time I have heard one long beep followed by three short beeps. That usually signify hardware problem, but the PC did boot up. That audio beep error just happened once, and no more.

9) Even tried to restore from a system image stored August 2021. System image restored successfully but the mouse problem persisted. Device Manager still got General tab only.

It started with a simple monitor flickering issue, turned out to be something more serious and a system image restore could not fix it.

The other only option I can think of maybe doing a clean Win 10 install. I hope that can be avoided, as that means all the Windows updates and programs needed to be redo and some data will be missing. Since the PC is a self-build, hope I don’t need another license for a clean install.

Thank you guys in advance for pointing me to a possible solution.

@Billsey

@JackE

@egydiocoelho

Side note: Win 11 upgrade was ready for several months, and I kept declining the update. Don’t know if it has something to do with the bad Device manager.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the computer model? Example TC-1660-R11H.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    Options
    @egydiocoelho

That is a self-build desktop with the hardware:

i5-11500 CPU, integrated UHD750 graphics
    Asus Prime B560-plus motherboard ( 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, 1 DP1.4)
    WD SN850 Black 500GB gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD
    One pair of Acer X233H monitors + one 4K TV

Win 10 Pro OS, MS had the Win 11 ready for upgrade for months but I declined the upgrade so far.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,775 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Have you tried to reinstall windows using a microsoft iso?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options
    I am likely barking up the wrong tree, but is there a chance the issue isn't with the monitor but with the USB environment itself? If the system were seeing a stream of garbage from the mouse, it could easily present as constant movement to the corner of the screen. You might get that type of issue with the USB ports if the system power wasn't clean enough, or if the PSU was acting up. You could also see screen flickering with a power issue. I've got a cheap little scope here that is still good enough to see noise thresholds for signals that I picked up from China a few years ago for under $20ish, but you are likely going to want to deal with this without the shipping wait. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @egydiocoelho and @billsey

Thank you guys for your responses. 

As I mentioned earlier, the mouse stuck at the upper right hand corner in the Win 10 Pro OS only. The mouse was working fine in Linux of the same PC. The garbage display in the 2nd monitor is because Linux versions still cannot provide good display drivers for the UHD750 integrated graphics of the i5-11500 CPU and B560 chipset. All three displays are fine with the Win 10 OS, with the exception of the mouse freezed at the upper right hand corner of the second display.

My Acer X233H primary display flickering problem seemed to be fixed with a brand new VGA cable, replaced the quarter century old one. Hopefully theses monitors can last a few more years.

What are puzzling me:

1) Win 10 Pro Device manager only get the General Tab for all devices

2) The mouse freezed at upper right hand corner. I had similar experience with old PCs and old Windows (95, 98, XP ... etc.) . Those might be due to interrupt or memory conflicts and faulty hardware. Cannot check it with Device Manager. I guess I can rule out hardware problem because the mouse is fine with Linux. Even tried another Linux, MX21.1, and yes, even thing is fine with Linux.

3) Rolling back with restore points and even an image of last August could not avoid this mouse freezing problem.

I try not to do a clean install because this is a self build desktop without embedded Windows license and all the time to load back all programs and Windows updates. The 32-bit Win 10 Pro working as the guest under virtual environment will be wiped out too, probably needing another Windows license. May need two Windows licenses  for the fresh install.

Anyway, I have downloaded from MS the Windows 11 installation flash drive. Just trying to give myself more time to think about what to do before committing to the Win 11 fresh install.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @egydiocoelho and @billsey

After a couple weeks, I believe the problems got sorted out.

The X233H monitor that flicker but appeared to be running O.K. under Linux finally failed a couple days after I made such claim. It gave a constant black screen, even when I I pressed the Menu button.

This bad X233H was temporarily replaced with another Acer K222HQL from another desktop, and I noticed the mouse still stuck at the upper right hand corner of monitor #2.

A new Sceptre monitor arrived a few days later to replace the bad one. Once boot to Win 10, I found the mouse could move freely and all other operations were back to normal. So, the problem resolved, it was because of faulty hardware due to bad monitor. The PC was later restored back with a system image of January.

I have made the wrong assumption that there were no hardware problems because every thing was fine in Linux.

I am still puzzled why the freezing mouse problem persisted while I changed to the K222HQL.

Thanks for your attention.

• billsey
    Options
    Any chance the mouse was plugged into a monitor USB port?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @billsey

None of my monitors got USB port. 

The persistence mouse freezing problem even with a temporary replacement (K222HQL) remains a mystery. As long as things are working fine now, I am not going to spend more time to investigate that.
  • billsey
    Options
    If the mouse isn't directly connected to the monitor, the issue can't be with the monitor itself. There is no real feedback from the monitor to the computer, so it can't affect apps running on the computer.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @billsey

If I understand you correctly, the monitor should not cause issue since the mouse isn't getting input signal from the monitor?

Decades ago, I had similar mouse pointer freezing problems due to bad hardware (network card, graphics card), that caused memory conflict and interrupt conflict. The issues resolved by replacing the faulty hardware like this time.
  • billsey
    Options
    And that can still happen. a completely frozen mouse is usually due to a lock on the PCIe buss. A driver or app working at a low level requests exclusive access to the buss to do some sort of data transfer then never releases. Nothing can happen until it does release and you get a locked system. If instead the driver or app just waits a heck of a long time (and I'm talking tens to hundreds of milliseconds) you get a stutter or freeze that releases too slow. Poorly designed hardware, faulty hardware or buggy drivers are the cause of that type of issue more often than not. In some ways it's less of a problem these days because the designers of the hardware and software have better tools to catch these types of things before they get to consumers. Most of the times we see it as a persistent issue these days are on systems pushing the envelope, heavy gaming systems often have software packages that are used to tweak the hardware to get just a little more performance out by bypassing some of the sanity checks. :)
  • ttttt
    Options
    @billsey

"And that can still happen", and it did happen. Previous interrupt conflicts would still have the freezed mouse freeed after a few minutes. This time the mouse just stuck at the corner for more than half hour ( until I gave up waiting any more).

Anyway, my monitor was old, time for replacement anyway.

Thanks for the follow up info.