How do I replace the broken m.2 SSD on my Predator G1-710

Options
Duchy0Conifer
Duchy0Conifer Member Posts: 2 New User
So a couple months back the main boot drive was failing and I had to buy a new ssd which I have installed into the 2.5 slot. 

So the old failing hard drive was still plugged in and I somehow got the new ssd to have windows on it. Weird thing is I couldn't delete all the files on my old failing drive so that means something in the windows files was still running. 
I just ignored it till today when my old ssd completely failed, my pc froze and I couldnt boot up anymore. The old ssd wasnt being recognized in the BIOS and I couldnt open the boot menu.

I asked a friend what to do and they told me to unplug the old broken SSD first of all. I finally located it (under the cage with the HDD and ODD) but I have no idea how to take that cage off

So my question is, what do I do?? Do i continue trying to unplug the old SSD? and if yes, how do I do that?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    At what point do you think you're at in this flowchart to reach the target?

Jack E/NJ

• Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi @ Duchy0Conifer

For laptops that only have one M. 2 slot, the easiest way is to just use a bootable cloning tool and an external USB HDD. So, you boot into the cloning tool, make a drive image into the HDD, shutdown, replace the drive, boot into the cloning tool again and copy the drive image from the HDD into the new drive

• JackE
    Options

Jack E/NJ

• Duchy0Conifer
    Duchy0Conifer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:

just rear cover but I decided not to, ive been trying to install windows from scratch on my old ssd but its been "getting ready" for more than 6 hours now
  • JackE
    Options
    I can try to walk you through removing the HDD & DVD because it seems like the SSD has failed. However, if you feel uncomfortable doing so, it might be better for you to take the box to a local repair shop to remove it for you and replace the HDD & DVD cage. Shouldn't charge more than an hour labor.

Jack E/NJ

• zoomcrypt
    zoomcrypt Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    I can try to walk you through removing the HDD & DVD because it seems like the SSD has failed. However, if you feel uncomfortable doing so, it might be better for you to take the box to a local repair shop to remove it for you and replace the HDD & DVD cage. Shouldn't charge more than an hour labor.
    trying to remove the 3.5 HDD.  i tested my new one already and it works, but i can't figure out how to remove the old one and put the new one in that spot. thanks if can help!
  • JackE
    Options
    oomcrypt Do you also have a G1-710? Or another model? Usually 4 screws on the sides affix the HDD to the mounting rack.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The User Manual has instructions for removing and replacing the 2.5" HDD, including what screws are used and where they go.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.