ZC-610 SSD compatibility

MariusM
MariusM Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Good day, I am assisting a client to upgrade their WD 1TB to a 512GB Netac SSD. Cloning done. Unplug all other external HDD and flash drive leaving only SSD in place. Restart and booting up 100%. Shut down AIO, wait few minutes, boot device not found and SSD not detectable in BIOS. updated BIOS to latest dates 2014. no joy. Any suggestions?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,433 Trailblazer
    >>> SSD not detectable in BIOS. updated BIOS to latest dates 2014.>>>

Is the SSD visible in the BIOS INFORMATION tab?

Jack E/NJ

• MariusM

Tinkerer

Hi, only if I go to advanced\Misc the I can see it.  I suspect that the lack of a Legacy mode for HDD under Launch CSM might be the problem. Now the original HDD also does not show under UEFI.
  • JackE
    Please post phone photos of the BIOS Information and Advanced tabs if possible.

Was the SSD GPT partitioned before you tried to migrate the system from the WD?

Jack E/NJ

• MariusM

Tinkerer

Unfortunately not. I ended up formatting SSD and copying data over. Seems that something went wrong wrt UEFI partition. or something like that.
  • JackE

Was the SSD GPT partitioned before you tried to migrate the system from the WD?

Jack E/NJ

• MariusM

Tinkerer

Jip, it was.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,429 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Have you tried to Create a bootable USB Windows tool and put it on a formatted SSD. You'll have to copy the data later.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
  • JackE

Jack E/NJ

• MariusM

Tinkerer

Thanks for all the replies. Issue has been resolved.
  • JackE

Could you please reveal how it was resolved so that other users might benefit? Thanks.

Jack E/NJ

• MariusM

Tinkerer

Hi, somehow the partitioning was not cloned as desired.  I booted from Windows 10 installation flash drive and did fresh install then recovered data.
  • JackE
    OK. Thanks for reporting back. The EFI partition is probably the one whose trusted efi file must be re-configured in the BIOS Security tab after cloning.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    There are several clone packages out there, especially on those third party download sites, that resize all partitions proportionally which always breaks a UEFI Boot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @MariusM

It is common to see cloning problems when people try to clone from a higher capacity drive to a lower capacity one.