How do I disconnect my optical drive acer aspire xc 885 ?

VealSeal_
VealSeal_ Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
Yes acer community, im back again lol! anyone who has helped me previously would know that im getting upgrades, and well my power supply cannot handle my upgraders if my optical drive remains connected. So, how do I disconnect it? Ive looked up videos but the wires to disconnect it are like right by the ram but on my pc the wires are like non existent.

{ edited the title to add model name } 

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @VealSeal_ try to look at the cables that are connected to the optical drive(usually under the HDD). Unplug both the power and the SATA cable.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @VealSeal_ try to look at the cables that are connected to the optical drive(usually under the HDD). Unplug both the power and the SATA cable.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    You didn't give a model # but this video may help. I'm wondering how much wattage is save when it is idled ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHvrLCRekGY

• VealSeal_
    @Larryodie i have the acer aspire xc 885, there is about like 30 watts saved when its unpluged, and when it is idled im not sure i cannot find any info if optical drives use power if they arent in use so im just playing it safe and just disconnecting it.

• VealSeal_
    @Larryodie
    and thanks for the vid
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

How many watts does a DVD drive use?
    Typical Power Requirements

A CD or DVD drive will take about 20 to 30 watts and a hard drive consumes between 15 and 30 watts. Your motherboard probably uses 50 to 150 watts, and each stick of memory requires about 15 watts. The processor needs between 80 and 140 watts of powe