BE270U Bug in monitor timing inf values?

Options
EternalStudent07
EternalStudent07 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2022 in Monitors
I'm not willing to pay Acer to tell them about a possible bug, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I just noticed my 2016 BE270U display has the wrong timing values saved.  And I found the same wrong values in the inf.  Though I'm basing this on two other site's valid timing ranges since the manual and acer.com don't list those values...

Acer support page for my monitor...   https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/6858;-;

Sites with frequency tables that match each other...

"
Vertical Digital Frequency55 Hz - 75 Hz
Horizontal Digital Frequency30 kHz - 80 kHz
"

And my local system using a displayport thinks Horizontal is 120k-120k, Vertical is 48k-75k.  The INF I downloaded from Acer has that range for the displayport (HDMI is very different 30-83,40-76).

Are these two sites both wrong?  Why isn't there a range for the displayport device in the inf?  And why is that value so high compared to HDMI and the expected range on those sites?

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,622 Trailblazer
    Options
    (1) What Windows version are you running?
    (2) What issue is this causing in either games, photo-editing or apps that you use?

Jack E/NJ

• EternalStudent07
    Options
    1. Windows 10
    2. No known issues connected to this.  But how would I know there was?

Just looks "wrong", so I'm bringing up the question for more knowledgeable people to investigate.  Or explain...

What little I know about monitor timing ranges was with older hardware, and using X11 where you'd want to use the values that matched your hardware.  With the worry that values outside the range might break something.

I did try enabling G-sync after finding out this monitor apparently has FreeSync capabilities (wasn't advertised on Acer's pages or manual).  The effect wasn't worth anything to me.  Still saw artifacts on the NVIDIA pendulum demo.  And I have no idea if this seemingly wrong inf value could be part of the problem or not.

I also get a warning about there being an HDCP repeater from the NVIDIA Control Panel.  I don't have another screen attached to the DP out jack on the monitor, so the warning seems spurious.  But the screen won't let me turn off the daisychain feature.  Just pick between "clone" or "extend".  And I can't find a version value for the HDCP support.  Just that the monitor has support.
  • JackE
    edited April 2022
    Options
    What is the date, size & filename of the inf used? And where did you get it from?

Jack E/NJ

• EternalStudent07
    Options
    Not sure what help those values will be, but...

It's the one you can download from the Acer link I showed above.  Date on that page for the zip file is 2016/08/02.  I just looked at the inf in the folder that I'd updated to before.  I didn't find a random file in my C:\Windows folder or something.  The inf is 2.33KB according to my computer (when I hover my mouse it gets more detailed than the 3KB File Explorer shows).

"Acer BE2740U.inf" from the "Monitor_Acer_1.0_W7W8x86x64" folder (probably the filename when it downloaded to my computer).

The contents of the file I was focusing on was...

[051C_HDMI.AddReg]
    HKR,"MODES\2560,1440",Mode1,,"30.0-83.0,40.0-76.0,+,+"

vs.

[051C_DP.AddReg]
    HKR,"MODES\2560,1440",Mode1,,"120.0-120.0,48.0-75.0,+,+"

And that 120 value matches the odd single value my system shows for that monitor.  Versus a range like the HDMI has.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>1. Windows 10.  2. No known issues connected to this.  But how would I know there was?>>>

I suspect that's also  about all that developers thought. Maybe made a few tweaks in the binaries from the Win7 era but basically no known issues with either 32/64 bit Win7 or Win8 by whatever testing they did. Then simply declared it good to go with apparent warts and all in the readable setup files.  As one Acer user to another, I wouldn't fret over it unless a problem arises under Win10 or Win11. Then maybe another driver update will be released. :)  

Jack E/NJ

• EternalStudent07
    Options
    OK.  My guess is they can't/won't adapt it based on monitors daisychained to the main one (up to 2 x 1080p + this 1440p, only with DP).  So they just force the max rate they might need.

Thanks for thinking through this with me a little.  And now I know Acer won't likely answer in here.  I've been a little disappointed in my experience with them.  But it's just something to add to the list of factors for future purchases.

Intel is pretty great that way.  Even when the answer is "that's not a bug, and here is why" at least they explain it.  And I know they're aware of the confusion it caused this user.

Take care.