Enthusiast0421
Enthusiast0421 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa
How to reformat Acer TravelMate P214-41 using bootable USB

Comments

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,812 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Enthusiast0421 If you have created a Windows installation USB, then try to boot from the USB. When you are at the drive selection, format the current OS partition, and choose the same partition after you have done so.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Enthusiast0421
    Options
    Thanks for your help sir @AnhEZ28.I have already prepared bootable USB. But the problem is there is no option to boot using bootable USB. The only following options for booting are 1. Windows Boot Manager 2. Network Boot-IPV4 & 3. Network Boot-IPV6. There is even NO booting for USB DVD-ROM.
  • AnhEZ28
    Options
    @Enthusiast0421 try to enable the F12 boot menu in the BIOS. After that, tap F12 to open the boot menu so that you can select the USB.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    The USB is booted through Windows Boot Manager and will be shown in the F12 boot menu. You typically first have to enable the boot menu in your BIOS, and potentially disable Secure Boot as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JoeMan
    JoeMan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi guys need help. I reformat my laptop due to some errors and I came in contact with the new installation process where the HDD's are not found. Since I don't have any experience on this I tried using Linux Mint. And then I found out about the 11th Gen processes where you need a specific drive to download. Now I followed the step but the F6flpy-x64-Non-VMD and F6flpy-x64-VMD is not working and I can't install the setupRST.exe. What to do next. Please help me on this one.

• AnhEZ28
    Options
    @JoeMan go to the BIOS, main tab, and press CTRL+S to show the SATA option or VMD controller. If you have SATA mode, change to AHCI. For the VMD controller, disable it.
  • Enthusiast0421
    Options
    billsey  thanks for the reply sir. But still this "The USB is booted through Windows Boot Manager and will be shown in the F12 boot menu. You typically first have to enable the boot menu in your BIOS, and potentially disable Secure Boot as well." don't help. Is there any other help/way on which I can booth first from USB bootable drive or from DVD-ROM. Or even restoring BIOS to its original state? Thanks again.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    There are several steps needed to boot from a USB device. First the USB device needs to be bootable. With a Windows install ISO downloaded from Microsoft you can either use the Windows Media Creation Tool or the third party app Rufus to create the flash drive from the ISO. WMCT will handle things for you, but is slightly less reliable, Rufus requires you to verify the configuration is for GPT/UEFI. With the flash drive ready you go into the BIOS and verify that the Boot Menu is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled. Those are both not the defaults... Once you have made those changes to the BIOS and saved them you can put the install flash drive in a USB port and reboot the computer, using the F12 key to enter the boot menu. The boot menu should list all bootable devices and there will likely only be two, your main drive and the flash drive. Select the flash drive and it should then boot into the install environment. Note that this process also works for a DVD version of the Windows installer burned from the ISO.
    To reset the BIOS to factory defaults you simply use F9 within the BIOS screens, then F10 to save and exit. Note that if you reset to factory you will have to change the Boot Menu and Secure Boot settings once again to allow booting from an install flash drive.
    Now, once you are booted to the install image, what did you actually want to do? You asked about reformatting the drive and you can do that, but it will remove the OS and render the laptop unusable until another OS is installed. If you want to keep it usable maybe you want to do a fresh install that removes all your data and profiles? You can do that with a reset from within Windows, without going through the whole install image process.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.