Do I need to install all the drivers listed on the Acer support page for my laptop?

FumblingBumbling
FumblingBumbling Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Some drivers are labeled the same with the only difference being the manufacturer. Are these alternate drivers or are they all necessary?

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,475 Pathfinder
    @FumblingBumbling
    These all drivers are already installed on your laptop/pc by windows update.
    you just need to install new gpu driver from amd/nvidia driver site
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer
    If your machine seems to be running OK AND no red or yellow warning symbols appear in Device Manager, you don't need to download anything. These downloads and updates are primarily meant to help fix problems the machine is exhibiting.

Jack E/NJ

• FumblingBumbling

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    If your machine seems to be running OK AND no red or yellow warning symbols appear in Device Manager, you don't need to download anything. These downloads and updates are primarily meant to help fix problems the machine is exhibiting.
    I see. But if I do need to install a driver, are the identically named drivers with different manufacturer names the same or not? Do I need all of them or just one of them?
  • JackE
    Not the same. For example, in the screenshot you posted earlier,  there are three completely different Wireless LAN drivers with three completely different manufacturers and three completely different version numbers. You can find out which adapter  you have intalled by opening Device Manager. Click network adapters folder. You should see whether it's an Intel, Broadcom or Qualcomm Atheros Wireless LAN Wifi adapter. 

Again, if you have no problems and no red or yellow warnings in Device Manager when you open it, you don't need to update anything.

Jack E/NJ

• FumblingBumbling

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Not the same. For example, in the screenshot you posted earlier,  there are three completely different Wireless LAN drivers with three completely different manufacturers and three completely different version numbers. You can find out which adapter  you have intalled by opening Device Manager. Click network adapters folder. You should see whether it's an Intel, Broadcom or Qualcomm Atheros Wireless LAN Wifi adapter. 

Again, if you have no problems and no red or yellow warnings in Device Manager when you open it, you don't need to update anything.
    I see, thanks a bunch. That clears some things up. Just one of them, based on what device I have in the device manager.

Also, I understand that I should be conservative with drivers but I still have one worry on that. Sometimes I encounter problems that aren't so clear. On someone elses computer which I did a fresh windows install on, it had two problems that device manager did not show at all. One was the lack of a wireless connection, which was obvious. Another, was that the audio was a bit on the quiet side, needing 100% to be at a good volume. This was a bit unclear, as I was unsure of what the usual performance was supposed to be.

In that case, I just installed an audio driver just to be sure. And the audio was noticeably louder after.

So my question on that is:
    1. How do I know if I need drivers if the problem is not binary(working, not working)?
    2. Would there be adverse effects if I just installed everything regardless of device manager warnings or apparent problems?

Thanks again in advance

• JackE
    (1) Device manager will usually show a triangular yellow warning symbol if it's a software issue. It will show a red warning stop sign if it's a hardware issue. If the device is missing from Device Manager, it usually has failed or not  connected

(2) Yes, there is risk to indiscriminately  install drivers for device hardware that otherwise appear to be functioning properly and have  no Device Manager issues.

Jack E/NJ