Aspire E1-572G - no bootable device - HDD0 not detected in Bios

Options
Myrdhana
Myrdhana Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hello everybody

A friend of mine just gave me his old laptop which has spend a good couple of month hidden in a box (he had forgotten about it). When I tried to start it (once charged), I directly got a "no bootable device" message. I took out HDD, cleaned the connectors an put it back in. Now I get the "Acer explore beyond limits", and than

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v15.4.2
Copyright 2000-2012 Broadcon Corporation
Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
All rights reserved
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exciting Broadcon PXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I have a windows 7 boot usb, if I insert it PC won't recognize it.

When I go into the bios, HDD is marked "none". If boot mode is UEFI, PC won't recognize my Boot usb, in boot mode legacy, he will.

First time I went into the bios, system time and date were completely false (year was 2010), I set it right and it's ok now.

If I restart the laptop under legacy with the boot usb in place,after the Acer and the Broadcom message, I get "windows is loading files", "starting windows" and finaly the "install windows 7" screen. (under UEFI I'll just get the "no booting device" message.

When I start the W7 install (I use custom - new copy of windows, I tried upgrade but pc didn't find another version of windows), I get the next error message

When I go to the command prompt via the repair option on the windows install start page, the only drive it finds is my usb

Is there anything else I could try ? Install windows on another USB (is that even possible ? ) ? Bye a new disk ? throw the laptop away (I so do not want to do that)

Help please

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,631 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The HDD has either failed or is not connected properly. It must be visible in the BIOS Information tab AND diskpart list disk in both UEFI and Legacy mode.

Win7 can only be installed in legacy BIOS mode to a working MBR partitioned HDD or SSD. 

Win8x & Win10 can be installed in either Legacy mode with MBR partitioning or UEFI mode with GPT partitioning

Jack E/NJ

Answers