Predator G3-710 Power button blinking red

Options
Eagles6
Eagles6 Member Posts: 3 New User
Hey there, I just picked up a predator g3-710 model ag5w2 from a friend returning a favor. All he told me is that he can’t get it to boot up anymore. I got it home, visual inspection everything looks good. Plugged it in and power button is slowly blinking red. I can hear the cpu fan clicking as if it’s trying to start. I tried the power reset but no luck. What next?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    Likely the PSU has failed. Do you have a meter for testing power?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Eagles6
    Options

billsey said:
    Likely the PSU has failed. Do you have a meter for testing power?
    I have a multimeter here. How do I go about testing a pc power supply? Just for reference, last night I took both sticks of ram out, put back in. Pulled GPU to access COM1 and reset bios. Once I got it all back together, no more red light flashing but seems like I have no power at all, so was leaning towards PSU as well. If the PSU ends up being fine, likely looking towards the motherboard. Does that sound right? This is the first PC I’ve owned in probably 10 years.
  • Eagles6
    Options
    Just tested the PSU by shorting pins 15 and 16, and tested all DC voltages on each pin. PSU appears to be good. No beeps or lights or anything anymore when plugged in and power button pressed. Likely motherboard?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    That often isn't a good enough test, since none of the voltage are working with a load on them. Best is to have it hooked up and test on the back side of the 24pin ATX power connector. You should at least test +3.3V, +5V and +12V. Needless to say you want to turn the computer on first... :) One other thing that might be the issue is if the power button itself isn't shorting those two pins together when pressed. All it should take is momentary contact to energize the power up circuit on the MB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @Eagles6,

Unit needs to be charged. What is the battery percentage ?