Laptop Acer aspire 5 (2021) keeps shutting down while trying to boot up. Power button issue?

BrianSur25
BrianSur25 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I've been using my Acer aspire 5 (2021) for almost a year now and nothing has happened until yesterday when I tried to power it on. The first thing I noticed was that when I pressed the power button, it didn't immediately turn on. I had to wait for a couple of minutes before it showed signs of powering on. Second is that the first time I tried opening it, it managed to get to the sign in screen but it kept sleeping and turning back on and the option to slide the screen in order to shut it down kept appearing (that's when I thought that maybe it might be a power button issue) I tried restarting it, but after doing that, the laptop just powered off at the Acer logo screen. Now, the day after I tried to power it up again but this time it can't even properly turn on. The keyboard backlight turns on for a few seconds and then the laptop turns off.

There's another reason why I think that it's a power button issue. There was an instance where the laptop tried to diagnose itself but then a screen popped up saying that I shouldn't shut down my laptop even though I wasn't pressing the power button.

Is there a solution to this? My school works are still in there and I need it in 4 days

{ edited the title to add model name } 

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    (1) Unplug charger
    (2) Press and hold power button for about 10 seconds. No LEDs should be lit
    (3) Gently insert, press and hold a paperclip into battery reset hole on the bottom for about 60 seconds
    (4) Plug charger back in.
    (5) Wait until battery charge LED turns from blinking or steady orange to steady blue. This may take 8 hrs or more.
    (6) Only after battery charge LED turns steady blue, try to turn the laptop on again

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @BrianSur25,

Can you able to check the battery percentage. 
  • NiclasSWIFT3
    NiclasSWIFT3 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Hi, any solution ? i have the same problem in my acer swift 3
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    (1) Unplug charger
    (3) Gently insert, press and hold a paperclip into battery reset hole on the bottom for about 60 seconds
    (5) Wait until battery charge LED turns from blinking or steady orange to steady blue. This may take 8 hrs or more.
    (6) Only after battery charge LED turns steady blue, try to turn the laptop on again

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer

There's another reason why I think that it's a power button issue. There was an instance where the laptop tried to diagnose itself but then a screen popped up saying that I shouldn't shut down my laptop even though I wasn't pressing the power button.

Just to give you further advice and what I've found with these new laptops is this, as you have said "the laptop tried to diagnose itself but then a screen popped up saying that I shouldn't shut down my laptop even though I wasn't pressing the power button" is to always have the laptop in "Sleep Mode" and only "Shut Down" the laptop if you really have to. As these laptops are very sensitive to power shut offs hence the problems that you are having, I've had this problems with shutting a Nitro 5 that is 4 months old and the only way I could revive it is by opening the back cover and disconnecting the battery and bios battery and waiting about 5 min and then reconnecting everything as that powered the laptop back straight away for me.

If all that doesn't work then its either your power key or a side DC in cable/plug port problem and/or battery or charger problems, so check that out first otherwise its an internal power/charging circuitry issue(s) that needs diagnosing by an experienced tech as its more complex than pressing a key and/or taking batteries out.
  • NiclasSWIFT3
    NiclasSWIFT3 Member Posts: 7 New User
    JackE said:
    (1) Unplug charger

I will try this!!! Thanks !