TravelMate P215-53 How can I connect my ACER TravelMate using an ETHERNET connection?

Options
rschoen
rschoen Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa
I have an ACER TravelMate|P that does not connect to a network via Ethernet.
I have no problem connecting via Wi-Fi, but cannot connect via Ethernet. Using the same cable & switch port to another laptop, all is fine; when I move the cable to the ACER, there is no  connectioyes, The ethernet connection is enabled (on the ACER) - but I have the Network Cable Unplugged" message. 

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Check first to make sure there aren't any warnings or error in Device Manager for the Ethernet device. Which TravelMate P do you have? There have been a bunch of different ones over the years...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi@rschoen

1. Plug an Ethernet cable into your computer.
    2. Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into one of your hub's Ethernet ports.
    3. You should now have established an Ethernet connection, and your computer is now ready to start surfing the internet.

• rschoen
    edited March 2022
    Options
    deleted comment - did not see how to delete

• rschoen
    edited March 2022
    Options
    billsey said:
    Check first to make sure there aren't any warnings or error in Device Manager for the Ethernet device. Which TravelMate P do you have? There have been a bunch of different ones over the years...
    TravelMate P215-53 - would that be it?
    Device Manager reports "This device is working properly."
    Device is Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller, Driver info: Realtek/ 2020-02-12 / 10.39.212.2020
    Windows driver update search did not find a more up-to-date driver
    I left the laptop connected and went away for a couple of houors and it eventually connected. I guess my new question is: "Why does it take so **** long to connect???" <sigh>
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, P215-53 should be good enough. 11th gen Intel chipset and CPU. Next step is to look at how it's configured, a connection won't be instant, but it shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Try this, shut down and let things sit for an hour or overnight (this is often enough time for the DHCP server (usually your router) to release the lease). Turn it on, log in and bring up a command prompt. Type this command:
    ipconfig /all
    When it's done dumping the text you can right click to the top border and use the Edit menu to Select All. With everything highlighted hit your Return key which will copy it all to the clipboard. Paste it in a message here and we'll look at what's not correct. I doubt it's a driver issue, more likely either hardware or the network configuration.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.