dvd/cd writer acer aspire tc 1660

mandy30
mandy30 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
can anyone tell me what dvd/cd writer i need for the acer aspire tc 1660 please and do i need to buy the cables or are they already inside the pc

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It uses a standard slim line ODD, with no special power connector. I believe the other user is just confused since ODDs have a smaller power connector than HDDs and SSDs do. That is to allow then a better fit in laptops, which is what they were originally designed for. If your model didn't come with a ODD installed, there are several pieces needed to mount one in it. Usually they come in the box with the computer, but they often get thrown away with the packaging. The Acer part number for the plastic front bezel, with button, is: 60.BEWD3.002. The part number for the metal bracket that mounts to the back of the drive to hold it in place is: 33.BAQD3.002. You will also need two M2x3mm screws to hold the bracket on and a 6-32x5mm (or a bit less than 1/4 inch) to hold the bracket to the case. The power connector should be included on the SATA power wiring from the motherboard, but if it isn't the cable part number is: 50.VQED3.001. You will need a SATA data cable. I can't remember if the ODD version has a right angle connector on it or not, but it likely does on the end that connects to the drive. It should be 8-10" long (220mm). The SATA cables for additional HDDs is a bit shorter and doesn't have the right angle connector. Each SATA power socket on the motherboard has capacity for two drives, so if your system came with a HDD installed and no ODD then you should have both connectors ready for use. If your system came with a SSD only and no HDD or ODD then the SATA power cable should have been in the box with the ODD hardware.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• mandy30
    Hi,Sorry to hear that,I know most people say now that they are becoming obsolete but I would still like to have one,I have just put a NVMe M2 in mine,cant believe how fast it is,I do have a external dvd/cd writer but would rather have a internal one,I guess the bits that came with the pc are for a internal drive.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    It uses a standard slim line ODD, with no special power connector. I believe the other user is just confused since ODDs have a smaller power connector than HDDs and SSDs do. That is to allow then a better fit in laptops, which is what they were originally designed for. If your model didn't come with a ODD installed, there are several pieces needed to mount one in it. Usually they come in the box with the computer, but they often get thrown away with the packaging. The Acer part number for the plastic front bezel, with button, is: 60.BEWD3.002. The part number for the metal bracket that mounts to the back of the drive to hold it in place is: 33.BAQD3.002. You will also need two M2x3mm screws to hold the bracket on and a 6-32x5mm (or a bit less than 1/4 inch) to hold the bracket to the case. The power connector should be included on the SATA power wiring from the motherboard, but if it isn't the cable part number is: 50.VQED3.001. You will need a SATA data cable. I can't remember if the ODD version has a right angle connector on it or not, but it likely does on the end that connects to the drive. It should be 8-10" long (220mm). The SATA cables for additional HDDs is a bit shorter and doesn't have the right angle connector. Each SATA power socket on the motherboard has capacity for two drives, so if your system came with a HDD installed and no ODD then you should have both connectors ready for use. If your system came with a SSD only and no HDD or ODD then the SATA power cable should have been in the box with the ODD hardware.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    edited March 2022
    The six pin connector is standard for all the new systems that meet Intel's spec for the 12VO single rail power supplies. Since the power supply provides only 12V to the motherboard, the 5V has to be provided by the MB instead of the PSU. I believe there is at least one manufacturer that decided to use an eight pin connector, but pretty much everyone else is using the six pin. IIRC it's a JST form factor (same as most everything else that uses the keyed white connectors) with two each 12V, 5V and GND. Acer has a bunch of different part numbers, since they are sized to be the right length for the case. I wish they'd just make a couple of lengths and bundle the excess, but they know more about the cost saving from shorter wires than I ever will.
  • mandy30
    billsey said:
    Thank you for the detailed information billsey,it looks like the only thing I need to buy is the drive and the screws,I only bought 2 M2x3 screws for my ssd because I only needed one,I did,nt think I would need anymore for anything else with them been so small
  • billsey
    Yeah, when I needed a single M.2 mounting screw for my GX-281 desktop, I just paid something like $5 extra and got a kit with like 100 screws of various sizes. I'm down to around 80 left now, several years later. :)
  • mandy30
    wish I had done that but never mind,the cost of that cable is outrageous
  • billsey
    Retail pricing from an authorized vendor for field replaceable parts is often way, way high like that. Much cheaper to buy a clone of the cable from Amazon or eBay.
  • mandy30
    billsey said:
    Retail pricing from an authorized vendor for field replaceable parts is often way, way high like that. Much cheaper to buy a clone of the cable from Amazon or eBay.

No such cable turns up  for me  from a search for "50.VQED3.001" on Amazon.
    Maybe you will share the Amazon link you came upon, @billsey
    Personally, I find that wild goose chases are a frustrating waste of time, don't you?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/24042879028 this one is £14.40
  • billsey
    https://www.zandparts.com/en/acer-50-vqed3-001 this one is also from Europe, but cheaper than the previous.