How to boot from SATA SSD instead of M2 SSD - Veriton M4680G

frboisve2
frboisve2 Member Posts: 3 New User
Howdy Acer Community,
We just got a bunch of Veriton M4680G and we would like to install an additionnal SATA Kingston SSD and boot from it.
I would like to use the M2 NVME as an additionnal storage. 
When I add the Sata SSD, the bios sees it, but doesn't list it as a bootable hard drive.

I tried to disable SecureBoot, there's nothing to do. Also, when I boot from an HirenBoot CD USB drive, I can't see the NVME drive in file Explorer.
It seems to me like something is protected, but I can't figure out what. 

Can you please help me out?
Thanks a bunch!

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Disconnect the drive that you don't want and boot from the other BUT the M2 NVME is faster than the SATA so I would use it for the boot. 
  • frboisve2
    I tried that, but as I said, the BIOS doesn't want to recognize the SATA SSD as a bootable device. So I get a "No boot Disk found" message when I remove the M2. So again, how can I tell the Veriton PC to force boot on SATA SSD?

Thanks for the tip. For a special need in my business, we'll use the SATA SSD (SCCM is broke and I can't push my Windows image to the M2 just yet, we're working on it). 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hmmm.
    Maybe enable F12 in Bios, save and reboot using F12 and let you select the boot drive ?
    I do that when using an USB bootable drive. I'm not sure that it'll work using a hard drive.

ACER really needs to instructions on this, so much confusion on how to boot. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Did you clone the factory image from the M.2 drive to the new SATA SSD? If the new drive doesn't have the appropriate partitions it won't be bootable.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • frboisve2
    So if I understand correctly, I can't image the M2 the way I want because I would be loosing the partitions it needs to boot?
    Not very useful in a business environnement eheh :P 

And yes Larryodie, I tried that but my Sata SSD doesn't show up. If what billsey says is right, I got a bit problem. 
    Any tool to create those partitions? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Typically the cloned drive will have three or four partitions. a 100MB (very small) EFI partition, a recovery partition (holds the recovery software) that's under 1GB, the big system partition (C: ) and potentially another recovery partition (holds the system image) that is usually around 4-8GB. If the drive you added doesn't have those small hidden partitions, it is not recognized as bootable and won't show up in the boot menu.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.