Want to upgrade Aspire TC-885-ACCFLi3O and have questions about compatibles parts

MindQuad
MindQuad Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

PC Specs 
Acer Aspire TC-885-ACCFLi3O Desktop
8th Gen Intel Core i3-8100
1TB HDD
1 8GB DDR4-2400 MHz

I Want to add a M.2 NVMe SSD to use as boot drive and 1 8GB DDR4-2400.  I was giving several suggestions for the M.2 NVMe and decided to go with a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB (provided my system will support it).  Will any any adapters ect.  For this?

Any feedback is much appreciated. TIA

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @MindQuad

You can use the 1 TB SS 970 EVO NVMe SSD to the M.2 slot of the PC to get a big boost in performance ( close to 30 times faster than the original mechanical HDD). If you use the SS 970 EVO to the M.2 slot, you don't need any adapter. However, I'll suggest using a heat sink with this drive to prevent thermal throttling.

If this SS 970 EVO is applied to the x16 slot, then you will need an adapter for it.

It is a good idea to add another RAM module with the same spec of the original RAM to enable dual channel performance.
    You can look at the label on the original RAM or download and run CPU-Z program to get the info from the Memory and Spd tabs there. Seemed DDR4 2400 Mhz RAM should be right for your PC.
  • MindQuad

Tinkerer

The manual says I have:
    Number of total expansion slots: 2
    Number of PCI Express x1 Slots: 1
    Number of PCI Express x16 Slots: 1
    Number of M.2 Interfaces: 2 

Are the M.2 interfaces separate from the PCI-E slots? 

If the PCI-E slots are the M.2 interfaces, I assume I have to use the x16 slot for the NVMe SSD.

Does this sound correct you?
  • Check this information:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @MindQuad

You don't HAVE TO use the x16 slot for the M.2 drive. Most people use the M.2 slot ( #8 from the diagram provided by @egydiocoelho) for their M.2 boot drive. That x16 slot (#17 in diagram) will be used by most people to add a dedicated graphics card if they want. If you think the on-board graphics is fine, then you can utilize this x16 slot to add another M.2 SSD.

I use one M.2 NVME SSD at the M.2 slot as primary Windows 10 Home boot drive. The x16 is being used as a mobile slot by me, switching between a Win 10 Enterprise and different versions of Linux on differnent adapters. Switching M.2 NVMe SSD from the M.2 slot is tedious, but switching adapters from the x16 slot is easy, usually less than twenty seconds for me.
  • MindQuad

Tinkerer

@ttttt @egydiocoelho thank you guys for the clarification

@egydiocoelho is there a chance to have a link to that .pdf?
  • We cannot publish files for download.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)