Acer t272hl - Detected - But Only For A Second

Options
Genious
Genious Member Posts: 2 New User
I'll try not to be long-winded about this convoluted issue I'm having. 
I use an HP Workstation Z800 running Windows 7 with Nvidia quadro FX 4800

I've always used dual monitors and have always had to go through something annoying each time I start the computer up: I have to let it fully load and then wait a certain amount of time before I pull the HDMI cable from the secondary monitor and then immediately plug it back in, for it to be detected and be used as an extended display.  The primary screen will go black for a split second and then come back on and then I can select the input on the 2nd monitor to HDMI and I'm finally ready to go.

But I purchased the Acer 27" touchscreen and surprisingly, it worked flawlessly when I first plugged it all in.  Unfortunately it stopped being detected after the power saver for the display kicked in and since then, I cannot get it to work.  The issue is kind of similar in that I restart the computer and it is showing on the primary monitor (which is an older 24" BenQ) and I will pull the HDMI from the new Acer and plug it right back in and the primary monitor again goes black for a second.  I change the input from the Acer to HDMI and it is showing for a split second but then shuts down.

I even brought up the NVidia software, as well as the Windows display setting to set up dual monitors after restarting and it will show that only one monitor is connected.  When I unplug and then re-plug in the HDMI to the Acer - both monitors are detected and I can even choose the Acer as the primary.  And it will all appear fine EXCEPT, as soon as I change the input to HDMI - that same split second of it appearing to work before it goes to black and everything reverts back to only a single monitor being detected.

If it simply didn't work from the beginning (which is what I had expected and prepared myself for) I wouldn't be so frustrated - but it's that I DID get to use it for an hour or so and I got a taste of how great it would be to not have to use a mouse and a physical mixing console (I'm using this in a music editing and video editing).

Anyway, sorry to have not been able to keep this post under 10, 000 words but I'd appreciate any input that anyone might have on this.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @Genious,

Set up dual monitors on Windows
    1. Select Start , then open Settings .
    2. Under System , select Display . ...
    3. Use the dropdown list next to the image of your desktop to choose how your screen will project across your displays.
    4. Once you've chosen your setup, select Apply.

OR

To quickly change how Windows 10 handles multiple displays, press Windows + P. A dark-gray menu titled “Project” will pop up on the right part of your screen. (That's “project” as in projector, not “project” as in a task people work on together.)

How to Duplicate or Mirror Screen on Windows 1011
  • Genious
    Genious Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks for the reply - that actually was how I initially had the computer set up and working with 2 identical monitors before - although, like I said, there was a trick to getting it to work in having to wait 5-10 minutes after restart/turning it on before I unplug the 2nd monitor and then plug it back in.  I have no idea why this is and it's what I'm now having to do with the new monitor every single time.  I'm not sure why this is but I'm resigned to it being the way that it is.