Aspire XC-1600 32-bit WIN10

AKaspire
AKaspire Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi,
Aspire XC-1600 should support 32-bit WIN10 but I am not able to boot from installer or installed coppy via USB drive. Boot mode is UEFI (I can not change it). Secure boot is off, and there is no Launch CMS selection under Boot options. I have tried also connecting SSD to SATA but no luck.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Try enabling the F12 then reboot while pressing the F12, your Boot selection should appear. 
    https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/563-why-cant-i-get-the-f12-boot-menu-to-work-on-my-notebook-or-netbook
  • AKaspire
    Boot menu is turned on and when hitting F12 I get message "Reboot and select propper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key".
    I have gone to first BIOS version downloaded from Acer website but it does not change anything.
    SSD disk via USB adapter does not boot. It is set up as MBR and using legacy boot I am able to run it on a different manufacturers computer.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder
    @AKaspire you will have to reformat the USB and set the Windows installation for GPT, UEFI Bios
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Larryodie
    edited March 2022
    If you're wanting to create a USB Windows Bootable disk. Follow this. Note at least 8GB and empty Flash Drive.
    It'll take a long time to create, maybe an hour or more but when done reboot with F12 presses and the F12 boot menu will recognize the drive. I don't know about MBR and Legacy as I've never changed anything, from the factory default but the F12 Enable. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• AKaspire
    Hi, I can make MBR and GPT installing sticks but 32-bit windows 10 Pro does not want to install on GPT drive. Same goes for original install CD and USB installer created with media generator. I created installer also with rufus using GPT but it does not change the way windows installer itself works.
    With MBR discs and 32bit win install CD F12 boot menu does not appear and gives immedeately the Reboot message.
    So seems that I have to find an other system that allows legacy mode.
  • AnhEZ28
    @AKaspire try setting up a password in the BIOS. The boot mode should be changeable afterward.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @AKaspire

Modern PC nowadays will not support 32-bit Windows natively. Last year I tried to enable both 64-bit and 32-bit booting for all my modern PCs of less than three years old but failed. Older PCs that will allow legacy booting did not have problems with 32-bit. The reason was modern PCs do not have the 32-bit drivers. I guess you probably encountered "Some files are missing" error when trying to use the installation stick for 32-bit Win 10.

I ended up using virtual memory environment with a separate Windows license for the 32-bit version with the 64-bit Win 10 being the host and the 32-bit being the guest. The old 32-bit old games and programs can be run now.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    I don't find an XC-1600 model in my searches, are you sure that is the correct number? If it's got 4GB or more of memory you don't want to try and install a 32bit OS. Most systems for the last ten years or so have too much memory to run 32bit.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AKaspire
    Hi. Model is XC-1660 and it has drivers for 32-bit also. Installation ended up with an winload.efi file missing or contains errors message. Virtual environment is also one option. Setting up a password did not make a difference.
    When I try to run a working win 10 32 bit installation on an ssd via SATA then it is not recognized. System just does not recognize legacy option.
    I have to use other options then. Thank you all for your input.

• Larryodie
    This is my computer, I don't mess with anything (just do a F9 to default your bios. NO LEGACY. 
    To boot a WIN 10 bootable USB, 1st do a BOOT ENABLE then reboot with F12 to get the boot option. 
  • Larryodie
    Note after you do a Boot Enable then save your changes and exit with F10 then after it continues, restart with an F12  key that will get you to the 2nd picture if your USB is inserted,

• ttttt
    @AKaspire

My modern PCs run into something like the "winload.efi file missing or contains errors message" errors when 32-bit Windows were involved. I did try to find and copied this kind of winload.efi file from other 32-bit Win 10 but failed.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that you will need Win 10 Pro or Enterprise version to get the virtual environment working. Win 10 Home just cannot do it.
  • billsey
    To run a 32bit version of Windows directly on the hardware, rather than in a VM, you have to install it from scratch, with all partitions removed as part of the install process. If you just do an install and say "put it in the system partition" you will still have a 64bit EFI file (the winload.efi) and th 64bit EFI will not load a 32bit Windows. Again though, a 32bit Windows install can only use less than 4GB of system memory so it's really not a good option for your system. IIRC the least amount of memory installed int he XC-1660 SKUs was 8GB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    @billsey

I used brand new HDD/SSD for my 32-bit Win 10 versions and there were always errors.
  • ttttt
    @prunemaster

Your last sentene conclusion is correct.

For my modern PCs, all cases ended up with Windows would not read from installation flash drive whenever a 32-bit version is present (even though I downloaded both 32-bit and 64-bit versions to the flash drive).

• billsey
    That winload.efi file is for a 64bit OS. You can't install a 32 bit over the top of a 64 bit. You have to wipe everything and go from scratch. You said something about an MBR partition, they *have* to be GPT in order to load the OS in an UEFI environment and if the USB drive is MBR that might be why it's then going to the system drive for the EFI file, it's not actually booting from the USB.
  • randalljones
    randalljones Member Posts: 3 New User
    How to install Windows 10 using bootable USB
    1. Plug your USB device into your computer's USB port, and start up the computer.
    2. Choose your preferred language, timezone, currency, and keyboard settings.
    3. Click Install Now and select the Windows 10 edition you've purchased.
    4. Choose your installation type.
  • randalljones
    randalljones Member Posts: 3 New User
    How to install Windows 10 using bootable USB
    1. Plug your USB device into your computer's USB port, and start up the computer.
    2. Choose your preferred language, timezone, currency, and keyboard settings.
    3. Click Install Now and select the Windows 10 edition you've purchased.
    4. Choose your installation type.
  • AnhEZ28
    @randalljones it is just a mistake from Acer. You can choose it but there won't be any driver for 32-bit.