TC-875-UR12 - Is there NO drive light on this computer?

1775 Member Posts: 1 New User
Is there no drive activity light on this computer? There is no way to know what is happening -  if the drive is spinning - if it installing software - if it is reading the DVD drive. I have never had a computer without this.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder
    edited March 2022
    @1775 most modern PCs and laptops have removed the hard drive status light because they are replaced with SSD from the factory. Since SSD doesn't spin like HDD so the hard drive light is meaningless now. With your model, it comes with HDD for the cheaper option. More expensive ones will have an additional SSD.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    It saved Acer a few pennies. Bottom Line. 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @1775,

When the HDD light does not come on, it generally means that the hard drive is not running. Now, you can ask yourself: are the fans running? if the fans are not running, you might conclude that the power supply may not be functioning.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @1775

If you are still using mechanical HDD and want to see the HDD light, I'll strongly recommend you upgrading to M.2 NVMe SSD or at least to a 2.5" SATA3 SSD for MUCH better performance.

For my self-build PC with HDD light and only SSDs connected (no mechanical HDD), I can only see the HDD light blinks slowly and constantly, so it is not meaningful at all, just an indication that SSD is connected.