Aspire SW5-11 Laptop sound issue

rwisniewski46
rwisniewski46 Member Posts: 23 Networker
edited March 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I keep losing my sound to my Aspire SW5-11. But I really want to upgrade to a new system but keep my current laptop. What is the best option to upgrade my system?

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    Unfortunately, the SW5-011 is very limited on hardware upgrades for latest Windows operating systems as most of it's components are soldered to the mainboard and not replaceable. In my opinion, the best operating system upgrade for this laptop would be to install 32-bit LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.3  since it can be configured to have virtually the same desktop and functionaliy as Win7 or Win8. I use Cinnamon on virtually all older laptops and dual boot mode even on newer machines.

Jack E/NJ

• rwisniewski46
    Thank you. Do you have a website link that I could download this to my computer.
  • JackE
    Before proceeding I  need to ask you, other than the intermittent sound issue, what is wrong with the current Windows system?

Jack E/NJ

• rwisniewski46
    It kept freezing up  and shutting down so I had to reset the computer all together. I am doing the last update/install on my computer to see if the sound will come back.
  • rwisniewski46
    Ok. Thank you. I will do a factory reset.
  • rwisniewski46
    How can download Cinnamon on an older laptops and how do I put it in dual boot mode?
  • JackE
    If it's dual booting Cinnamon on another older Acer laptop, you should start a new thread.  if it's not an Acer laptop, then follow installation instructions at this link. Basically, you shrink the Windows partition to make room for Cinnamon, Then you install Cinnamon from a bootable installation USB drive

Jack E/NJ