Hard Drive Compatibility SF114-32

GruffCheetah
GruffCheetah Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
My current hard drive experienced some kind of failure and can not be used anymore. I am thinking of buying the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 but I’m not sure if it’s compatible with my laptop - Acer Swift 1 (SF114-32). Does anyone know if their compatible or how to find out if their compatible?

Best Answer

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,630 Trailblazer
    My current hard drive experienced some kind of failure and can not be used anymore. I am thinking of buying the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 but I’m not sure if it’s compatible with my laptop - Acer Swift 1 (SF114-32). Does anyone know if their compatible or how to find out if their compatible?
    Yes the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 250GB M.2 drive is compatible and is a one of the top drives around, great software and durability is the key factors to Samsung. Also IMO consider a higher capacity boot drive like 512GB min as 256GB these days is very low for a boot drive and especially if you put data on it also.
  • GruffCheetah
    I just checked again, I have an Acer Swift 1, model SF114-32-P1C7. Just to be on the safe side, is it still compatible?
  • GruffCheetah
    edited March 2022
    Also, on the Acer website Specifications tab,
    it says the SSD interface is Serial ATA/600.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.GXUEK.004
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,630 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Have a look at a previous "Acer Swift 1 (SF114-32-C4PZ) upgrade to m.2 SSD"  as the memory on the SF114-32 is soldered to the motherboard and you can't upgrade it, but on the bright side, you still can upgrade the M.2 storage (top left corner)  via the single M.2 PCIe/SATA slot end key M and the Samsung will fit and work. Also see this "Inside Acer Swift 1 (SF114-32) – disassembly and upgrade options" as this is also a good guide.

• GruffCheetah
    Okay. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me.
  • GruffCheetah
    edited March 2022
    I have jut bought and installed the new hard drive - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2. However, my computer isn’t recognising it at all - in BIOS settings and Startup.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,640 Trailblazer
    You need to install the Intel RST driver at that point of the install. It's easiest to just extract the driver installer to a folder on the Windows install Flash drive, then click on Load Driver than navigate to the folder with the driver files.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GruffCheetah
    @billsey

What does the Intel RST Driver do?

• billsey
    iRST is Intel's Rapid Storage Technology, it optimizes some of the way that data transfers are handled between a disk and the chipset.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GruffCheetah
    The problem has now been resolved. I ended up exchanging the Samsung NVMe Hard drive for a Lexar SATA M.2 Hard drive. It looks like my laptop just required a SATA hard drive. It’s working and functionally properly now. 

Thank you everyone for the help.
  • billsey
    Specs have the caveat "SATA and PCIe devices vary depending on model and PCB BOM type", so yours must be one with SATA and not NVMe. :(