Swift 1 SF114-32 will not recognise new SSD Sata M.2 drive

krusty
krusty Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited March 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
So after looking around I found that is compatible :  Transcend 240Go SATA III 6Gb/s MTS820S 80 mm M.2
So I bought  Kingston A400 SSD SA400M8/240G - SSD Interne M.2 2280 240GB that is an equivalent.
But it's not visible in the BIOS.

My mother board is

But I can't find the information about PCIE or SATA compatibility base on this reference.

This thread was clear about M.2 Sata III will function and not nvme but mine is not functioning .

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,640 Trailblazer
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    M.2 support on this model is ambiguous. The SG states "SATA and PCIe devices vary depending on model and PCB BOM type". The Gemini Lake chipset supports both, but apparently not at the same time. So... If your laptop came with an NVMe drive, it supports NVMe only, if it came with a SATA drive it supports SATA only. If your machine came with only an eMMC drive soldered to the MB then all bets are off as to which the M.2 slot supports. In your case it look like you need to use the faster NVMe drives, or the SATA drive you purchased is faulty.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    M.2 support on this model is ambiguous. The SG states "SATA and PCIe devices vary depending on model and PCB BOM type". The Gemini Lake chipset supports both, but apparently not at the same time. So... If your laptop came with an NVMe drive, it supports NVMe only, if it came with a SATA drive it supports SATA only. If your machine came with only an eMMC drive soldered to the MB then all bets are off as to which the M.2 slot supports. In your case it look like you need to use the faster NVMe drives, or the SATA drive you purchased is faulty.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • krusty
    Thank,
    The slot was empty it only come with 64GO drive.  Do you know if it's possible to move my question in the right section?  I miss read swift and switch.
  • krusty
    And acer hotline is telling me the computer is taking both  ^^ what a joke.
  • billsey
    I asked the moderators to move it and now it's in the right place. :) The first level tech support often can't answer seemingly simple questions when things are confusing like this. They are only allow to answer what's stated in the script, and the SF114-32 models do support both kinds, it's only the individual units that support one or the other... :(
  • krusty
    billsey said:
    I asked the moderators to move it and now it's in the right place. :)
    Ok thanks.
    Finally  udapted the BIOS almost by accident.
    But now it the disk is still not visible in the bios but it appear in the disk menu

• billsey
    Good! Try to clone the old drive to the new one. If the errors are small enough that will allow you to boot from the new drive and keep all your stuff. If the cloning process fails due to the drive errors then you will have to reinstall the OS onto the new drive.
  • krusty
    I didn't clone it yet. But since I have the SSD my computer got slower even I made lot of space of the original hard drice.
    Is it better to clone? 
  • billsey
    Yes, it is best to clone the drive, then remove the old drive and boot from the new one. That will reset the default boot device to use the new drive. Once you are comfortable with running from the new drive, reinstall the old one and use Disk Management to clear all partitions off the old drive and create one data partition that uses it all. Once you are booting on the SSD things will be much faster.