Detailed instructions for Acer Aspire 7741G bios flash via USB

Chotu
Chotu Member Posts: 2 New User
Dear community
I would need some help with my old laptop. Long story short I ran into a situation where the laptop boots up but stays with black screen. Only bios flashing help needed. I found many solutions saying to extract the exe bios file downloaded from the original asus product support page, but there are no desired files for USB flashing (.fd - also I cant find the .fd combo inside a Hex editor opening other files in that extracted 17CP126.exe file). Inside the DOS>BIOS folder I find only the .ROM and .WPH file extension (near the phlash16.exe and ACERACDC.EXE). I've also tried with older BIOS versions.. no luck. I putted every combination possible on a fat32 flashed usb and inserted, boot up with Fn+Esc button pressed, I hear the fan but the laptop is not uploading the bios. Could anyone explain me the right way for my specific laptop? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Unless a bios update or downgrade was unsuccessful, black screens are usually caused by a problem with the video cable in the hinge area from wear and tear  of opening and closing the lid too much. Accordingly, the first test you should do is press the FN+F6 combo to try to turn the screen on. If no joy, the next test is to HDMI out to a TV set to see if you get a screen by pressing the FN+F5 combo. Report back with these results.

As for the FD file in the FN+ESC cold boot method, it should only be tried as a last resort because you could actually wind up corrupting  an otherwise uncorrupted BIOS. You're looking for a bin, rom, wph or fd  file that is further extracted from the Windows exe on another Windows machine. You should get a failure message. Leave the failure message open. Then search  for temporary files in the C : \ users subfolder usually found by using H2O*.* in the search field. The usual filename s an isflash.bin which should be  re-named JE70x64.fd and should be the only file on a FAT32 formatted stick. The FN+ESC cold boot flash method with this stick only works less than 25% of the time.

Jack E/NJ

• Chotu
    Chotu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey Jack
    Thanks for your opinion and help. The fn+ F6 or F5 options doesnt show anything on the screen, nor the additional monitor I have plugged (once via HDMI, once via VGA). Im struggling to find that temporary file. Could not locate it. On other sites its written its hidden in AppData folder. I have checked it all and couldn't find it. I left the error open. Any further advice?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Have you searched in the C : \ users subfolder using H2O*.* in the search field?

Jack E/NJ

• esadbase
    esadbase Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited 11:43AM

Hello @JackE,

I have exatly the same problem with the same Laptop (Acer Aspire 7741G). Jack, there is no file called isflash.bin anywhere. You are welcome to download the ACER 7741 BIOS v1.26 and see if you can find the isflash.bin file somewhere. Please help. Here are all the unpacked files: