Aspire xc830 System shutdown while searching for updates.

Peter1010mcw
Peter1010mcw Member Posts: 6 New User
edited February 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Returned from holidays recently, and attempted to search for updates. System shutdown and I cant start pc again.

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder
    @Peter1010mcw what is your pc model name?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Yeah, laptop, desktop or tablet? Model number? Age, what specs (CPU, memory, GPU, storage, etc.)?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Peter1010mcw
    Many thanks for your interest.
    Aspire xc830 desktop. Intel 14005 processor.
    Intel UHD graphics 600. 4GB DDR 4 memory.
    1 TB Hard Drive. Card reader.
    Integrated Lan 10/100/1000.
    802.11 AC wireless networking.
    802.11 a/b/g/n compatible & Bluetooth.

Have checked power source to the pc and it's ok.

• billsey
    OK, that helps a lot. I will assume you have already tried the obvious: the power cord is plugged into the tower and either a wall plug or a surge arrester. :) What happens when you try to turn it on? Do you hear anything at all, do you get any lights, either on the front or the back?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Peter1010mcw
    Have checked and there's no problem with the power cord. When I try to turn it on there's no sound, no lights, absolutely nothing......
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    Have checked and there's no problem with the power cord. When I try to turn it on there's no sound, no lights, absolutely nothing......
    First check for the things suggested above but also check windows power settings on this desktop and see the settings for sleep mode and power settings generally as that has bearing(s) on premature shutdowns as my new laptop was turning off prematurely also and I changed these settings and it fixed it. Power issues can be many so check the basics first as it could also be an internal problem that needs an experienced tech to diagnose your mobo with proper tools and the cause of it. 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited March 2022
    Obviously you can't check your Window"s power settings but try HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON FOR AS LONG AS IT is needed. 
  • billsey
    OK, do you have the tools to check voltages? The power supply brick might have gone bad. It should be providing 19V DC.
  • Peter1010mcw
    Using a voltmeter have tested the output from the AC adaptor and it reads 19.28 volts. Have also tried holding the power button in for over 3 minutes.

• Larryodie
    I assume that you mean 19.28 DC Volts from the Power Supply ? 
    Can you get to the switch or wires and take an ohmmeter to see if it it functioning ?

Also make a visual check for burnt parts, loose cables. DISCONNECT ALL KEYBOARD MOUSE, KEYBOARDS, VIDEO CARDS, AND ADD ONS. 
  • billsey
    It sounds like the power brick is doing it's job then, unless it drops that voltage under a load, which is harder to test for. Take the side cover off so you can view the fan over the CPU. Press the power button to turn it on, does the fan spin? If it spins up, does it keep on spinning?
  • Peter1010mcw
    When I press the power button, the fan doesn't spin. Have made a visual check for loose cables, burnt parts, but everything seems to be in order. Hope to get my hands on an ohmmeter over the weekend.
  • billsey
    Yeah, the next step is to test the button itself. You should see the circuit open when the button is not pressed and closed when it is pressed. If it's stuck in either mode it will not work.
  • Peter1010mcw
    I can see the circuit is open. When I press the button, the circuit doesn't close. Presume the light in the button should also turn on. 
  • Larryodie
    Momentarily jumper across it with your probe or a jumper wire to see if the computer powers on ? 
  • Larryodie
    I'm assuming that you used an ohmmeter ? As the volts for the light comes from within the mother board after it sees the switch has been pushed and other conditions.
  • billsey
    Yes, as suggested the status LED is driven by the motherboard, so doesn't go on until the power enable circuit does it's thing. It sounds like the power switch itself isn't working or else your see the continuity when the button is pressed. If the MB never sees the button press it won't turn on.