Aspire XC-1660G Linux Recommendations?

I upgraded to Windows 11 and it's terrible. Im not a gamer and don't need Windows. Anyone have success running Linux on this machine or similar ones where it just works and I don't have to wrap drivers for BT, WiFi etc???

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @b0yinterrupted

Do not know the sub-model number of your XC-1660G. Different sub-moels will be using 10th gen or 11th gen Intel CPU.

I have a self-built desktop using i5-11500 CPU, PCIe 4.0 motherboard with B560 chipset, UHD 750 graphics.
    Currently, I am still waiting for a Linux version that will provide proper drivers for the hardware configurations. Tried many Linux verions and none so far can provide all the right drivers. Some will stuck at the installer or no internet detected, some will give me reduced display resolutions (such as Linux Mint) without the ability to change for the proper maximum, some cannot detect dual-monitors, some give grabage displays.

One thing I want to ask you is whether you will be using your XC-1660G with one or two displayss? If you just use one display , you can try something like Garuda.
  • b0yinterrupted
    b0yinterrupted Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @b0yinterrupted

Do not know the sub-model number of your XC-1660G. Different sub-moels will be using 10th gen or 11th gen Intel CPU.

I have a self-built desktop using i5-11500 CPU, PCIe 4.0 motherboard with B560 chipset, UHD 750 graphics.
    Currently, I am still waiting for a Linux version that will provide proper drivers for the hardware configurations. Tried many Linux verions and none so far can provide all the right drivers. Some will stuck at the installer or no internet detected, some will give me reduced display resolutions (such as Linux Mint) without the ability to change for the proper maximum, some cannot detect dual-monitors, some give grabage displays.

One thing I want to ask you is whether you will be using your XC-1660G with one or two displayss? If you just use one display , you can try something like Garuda.
    Hey there thanks for the response! It's the XC-1660G-UW93 and has the Core i5-11400 with Intel UHD 730. I use dual display.

Usually Linux Mint will work on machines I throw it on, but since this is newer I figured I'd ask the community. My last Aspire had Intel Optane so Linux was out of the question on that one.

I ended up going back to 10 for now. I was so psyched for the Android Subsystem. Right away tho the virtual WiFi kept giving an error and eventually Android stopped loading at all. Then my displays started going wonky. They would glitch out before this when the background changed, but now I'd move the mouse or anything and the screen acted like it was dying.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @b0yinterrupted

There should be no problems for using Linux Mint with your last Aspire, just discard the obseleted Optane Memory and replace it with M.2 NVMe SSD and everything should be fine.

It's approaching one year since the 11th gen Intel CPU came out, but I am still waiting for the Linux version that will work perfectly without doing something complicated. One Acer Community member indicated that there was a work around way for 11th gen Intel CPU drivers for Linux, but it seemed to involve cumbersome steps from a web site that I have never visited. I didn't want to go through all the steps for every Linux distro to be installed.

Currently, most problems with the Linux distros are concentrated on improper display for dual monitors with my UHD 750 PC, I guess UHD 730 may not be better, but you can try one out.

Since I have another Aspire desktop with different Linux distros and use that everyday, I can wait.