Aspire M1935 halted at BIOS and not booting once PCIe-SATA converter installed

will_c
will_c Member Posts: 4 New User
So I am now using my old Aspire M1935 as my NAS and the original on board SATA slots (6 of them) have been fully occupied but I need another 2 for HDD expansion so I bought a PCIe_X1-to-SATA converter board.

* Aspire M1935 i7-3770
* 1 PCIe_X16 slot (no GPU card installed) and 3 PCIe_X1 slots (all empty)
* BIOS: P01-A2

So no matter I install this PCIe_X1-to-SATA card to which PCIe slots among the 4 listed above, the system won't boot (no ACER logo display at BIOS boot, no "1 beep" sound), but the fans are working properly.

BUT, at this point, if I HOT-Unplug the converter board, the system will continue to boot to OS (with beep and the BIOS-logo display) - So I guess the BIOS was "halted" by the PCIe_X1-to-SATA converter board.

If I turned it down, take away the Converter board from the PCIe slot, the system will boot normally (to Debian).

And at this time (after system boot), if I hot-plug the Converter board to any of the 4 PCIe slots, the system would recognize the HDD connected to the SATA on the Converter board (which means the converter itself is good). Also if I use "sudo reboot" to soft reboot the system it will boot normally to OS and the Converter works as well.

I guess this is caused by some power on sequence (?) But I didn't see any configuration related to PCIe or GPU in BIOS.... Anyone happens to have some work around? THANKS!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    You don't tell us for sure which PCIe x1 card you have, but some are configured to support booting from an onboard ROM and that can get in the way of the normal UEFI boot process.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • will_c
    Thanks @billsey

I am not sure whether this PCIe-to-SATA card is configured with an onboard ROM or not.
    It is SU-SA3034A from a small vendor called SSU with ASM1064 chip.

As I have figured out the card works if system BIOS boots normally, I am just wondering if there's any workaround to by-pass the card right after hardware-power-on.

Also when I was using this machine as my main work system many years ago, I had the same issue with NV GTX970 installed on PCIe_X16 (BIOS boot unsuccessfully), but it was working fine with GTX660...
  • will_c
    Anyway to disable the power supply to "all or any one" of the PCIe slots during BIOS/UEFI boots?
  • billsey
    Not that I know of, the PCIe slots are powered up by the system as a very early part of POST. It looks like that card has a fairly hefty heat sink on the main chip, so it could easily be an ASIC that contains boot code... Note that any sort of hot insert or removal is *not* supported with your motherboard. There are different socket designs and board designs needed for hot swap, and they are typically only used on server platforms. It would be awfully easy to fry something fatal trying it.
    The GPU thing is normal. Your system is old enough that it doesn't have a UEFI BIOS in it, and all the newer GPU cards require UEFI in order to initialize the GPU itself. The 660->970 was definitely spanning that time period. IIRC the 700 series was the last to support non-UEFI booting, except for a couple of specialized designs that had a switch for whch mode your system supported. I wonder if this card has the same issue (very likely if it supports booting). Try contacting them again to see if the card will work on a legacy boot system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • will_c
    Thanks @billsey

>> so it could easily be an ASIC that contains boot code...
    Yeah, probably. I will try to contact them.

>> Note that any sort of hot insert or removal is *not* supported with your motherboard
    Yes I know. Thanks for the notes.The hot plug/unplug was just for "trouble shooting" to separate the "causes" that I could think of.

As I didn't see any setting related to PCIe in my current P01-A2 BIOS (previously I thought maybe I could bypass this problem by some BIOS settings to "disable PCIe slot communication" during BIOS boot), I guess all I could probably get from this forum is, would there be any similar settings to "disable PCIe slot communication" during UEFI boot (if I could update the BIOS to UEFI with the official BIOS/UEFI package downloaded from ACER)? Thanks.

• billsey
    No, I don't believe Acer did a BIOS update to this model for UEFI support...