Upgrade SSD on Predator G3-710

2»

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,806 Trailblazer
    And then what happens when you use the Continue button?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • oldwizard46
    oldwizard46 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Using the Continue button loops me right back to the same screen
  • oldwizard46
    I've read in several places where people say the boot drive is always C:. is it possible to relabel the drives? Right now the M.2 drive is C: and the new SSD is G:. 
  • billsey
    Fire up Disk Management and show us the layout of both drives. The boot drive isn't always C:, it depends on where the EFI points it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • oldwizard46

Here is the Disk Management view
  • billsey
    OK, that is still looking good... What is offered when you do the F12 to get the boot menu? You should be offered either drive, and you want to choose the larger one.
  • oldwizard46
    Pressing F12 does show both drives. I choose the larger one and I get the blue screen wanting me to choose the keyboard layout. I click on "US" and I get this screen:

I choose "Continue" and it boots to the smaller drive. At least I think that's what is happening as F12 shows two "Windows Boot Manager" drives. I selected the second one thinking that it was the larger SSD
  • billsey
    You should be able to remove the smaller drive and boot from the bigger one. Once that is working then you can work with the smaller drive as a second data drive, but as long as it's still booting form the small one there will be issue. You shouldn't get the business with asking about the keyboard layout though, so I'm at a loss as to what's happening there. :(
  • oldwizard46
    I will try it once more then it may be a lost cause. I will just have a 500GB SSD data drive... :(
  • Travisnylon
    Travisnylon Member Posts: 1 New User
    @billsey  I just upgraded my predator system, and Installed 120GB SSD, but I think there is an issue as When I unplugged the SSD my system RUNS softly, but When the SSD connected my system stuck at Boot Display how can I overcome to this problem....
  • billsey
    @Travisnylon you should start your own thread for the question. did you clone the existing drive to the new SSD? It sounds like the SSD isn't setup right for booting. Maybe show us a screenshot of Disk Management with both drives displayed.
  • oldwizard46
    Its been a while but I finally got the machine to boot from the new SSD. I removed the M.2 SSD and rebooted but I still got the blue screen that says "Continue", Turn off your PC", "Use a Device", and "Troubleshoot". This time I choose "Use a Device" and it came up with a list of four 'Boot Managers" I chose the second one (a guess on my part) and it came back and said that it was disabled, I clicked on OK and after a slight delay, it booted! I checked in Disk Management and now the new SSD was listed as "C". The M.2 chip is still removed. I rebooted again and now everything works fine. I don't know if it's worth it to reinstall the M.2 chip or not. I really don't need the storage space and don't want to risk messing anything else up. Thanks for all your help/suggestions, I couldn't have done it with you. :) 
  • billsey
    Now that your default has been set to the new drive, you can go ahead and reinstall the old SSD then use Disk Management to wipe all partitions off it and create one full sized data partition. It will be allowed now because the boot has been set to the new drive, just by booting from it that first time.