USB Port is 3.0 even if the laptop says that supports 3.1 - Acer Aspire F15 F5-573G-58GV

EfsEfs
EfsEfs Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,

I am trying to figure out why on the device manager I see that under the universal serial bus controllers, the USB root hub says (USB 3.0).

Should I update any BIOS in order for the system to try and recognize the USB as it should be? The drivers seem to be up-to-date. At least that what windows say when i try to update the drivers.

System information:
  1. Windows 10 Home x64
  2. OS Build 19043.1526
  3. Laptop model: Acer Aspire F15 F5-573G-58GV
  4. CPU Processor: Intel Core i5 7200U (Kaby Lake-R)
  5. Let me know if you need any more information.

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Is this when something is attached to it? And if you swap to view devices by connection, plug a 3.1 device into it and look for the device you have connected to, it will show what the port is connected to as well as the bus its on

it may be that its 3.1 and just showing as 3 when something running at that speed as device manager is a bit eh aha!
  • EfsEfs

Tinkerer

@Leostat

Thank you for your answer on this. This happens when I attach a T5 Samsung SSD external storage device. The external disk says that it must run on USB 3.1 and with Gen 2, but when I connect to the correct USB ports and check the device manager, it appears as a 3.0 USB port.

So, I am currently trying to see if for whatever reason my laptop is not supporting or has any other problems and can not recognize the port as 3.1.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,107 Pathfinder
    @EfsEfs can you post a screenshot of the Universal Serial Bus controllers tab?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Does diskmgmt.msc show the T5 disk when connected ? If so as what ?
  • glussier
    glussier Member Posts: 1 New User
    This laptop is equipped with an usb 4.1 gen 1 port, which has the same bandwidth and usb 3.0, that is 5mb/s. To get 10gb/s you need a laptop equipped with 3.1 gen 2 ports. (either usb-c or regular usb ports.)
  • EfsEfs

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28
    Below is the screenshot. That's what I see in the device manager.

@padgett
    The disk appears as it is (exFAT is the format of the disk). I have attached a screen-shot directly from the disk manager

@glussier
    I can understand what you say. I am where of what it needs to get the 10gb/s. I am not working towards this. The laptop says it is equipped with 3.1. Not 4.1

• AnhEZ28
    @EfsEfs I see. Upon looking up your model specs, I can see that your model is equipped USB 3.1 Gen 1 which is the same as USB 3.0 so the port will have the transfer speed of 5Gbps. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • EfsEfs

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28 Thank you for this info. But how i can make windows see this as a USB 3.1 and not USB 3.0, that appears in the Universall Bus??
  • AnhEZ28
    @EfsEfs different models have different USB version naming so you cannot change it.
  • EfsEfs

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28
    So if I get it correctly, even if my laptop has USB 3.1 Gen1 still Windows see it as USB 3.0? Or this is based on the model only and Windows will see it as 3.0?
    Could a bios update or a drive update change that, or it is a lost cause? 
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    From the DM readout, it may need to be formatted. Do you find anything on F: ? I prefer NTFS. Crystal Mark will tell you how fast it is.
  • AnhEZ28
    @EfsEfs yes, it is named as USB 3.0 from the factory although it is 3.1 Gen1 but still has same performance.