2666mhz ram showing as 1300mhz and a few other issues aspire tc 885

DANeighty6
DANeighty6 Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited February 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hi i recently bought an acer aspire tc 885 which came with one 8gb stick of 2666mhz ram, i bought another stick of crucial 8gb ddr4-2666 put it in and it shows, but i checked cpuz and they are only running at 1300 or 1333mhz (i cant remember) i looked in bios menu but cant see how to switch the speed...?

Also i hooked up my gtx 1650 from previous build, it all works great but... Noise and heat is an issue, i have i7 8700 on stock cooler and stock psu and it sporadically ramps up fan speed to really loud levels whilst gaming. What would be my best bet to upgrade next? Psu or cpu cooler? Psu wont solve heat and noise from cpu i dont think so i was leaning towards the cpu cooler. But which are compatible?

Also i ran the time spy 3d mark benchmarks and on the gpu tests cpu gets to around high 80c, on cpu test it actually hits 100c (im a little worried)

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Best Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Its DDR , double data rate so if you are looking at the speed you double it to get the proper ram speed :) this is the most likley reason. Where is it saying 1333 and then that will tell us if it is that!  You are not able to change the speed in the UEFI.

PSU's dont ever really need changing unless you need more power, or they have degraded after ~10 years, 100 is a tad high but as long as its not sustained it isnt too bad. Im not to sure on the supported coolers though as OEM's generally have differnt mounts, so i will let somone else chip in if they have any recomendations :)
  • DANeighty6
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    @ttttt
    @lubu
    @billsey
    @leostat

Ok so i tried to install the arctic i13 x without removing the mobo, the threads were the same size but... When it was all screwed down it was not making contact with the cpu.

So had to pull the mobo out remove plastic acer backplate which was stuck down with double sided tape  and install the metal backplate which came with the cooler. 

The cooler only just fits in the case with the side panel closed.

Temps are around 20 degrees Celsius cooler than stock sitting at around 70 degrees c compared to 90 degrees c (occasionally would hit 100 c) and noise has completely disappeared.

Could not be more happy! 😁😁

Answers

• Leostat
    Answer ✓
    Its DDR , double data rate so if you are looking at the speed you double it to get the proper ram speed :) this is the most likley reason. Where is it saying 1333 and then that will tell us if it is that!  You are not able to change the speed in the UEFI.

PSU's dont ever really need changing unless you need more power, or they have degraded after ~10 years, 100 is a tad high but as long as its not sustained it isnt too bad. Im not to sure on the supported coolers though as OEM's generally have differnt mounts, so i will let somone else chip in if they have any recomendations :)
  • DANeighty6
    Thanks leostat i did just read this about ddr somewhere else also.. i do feel silly 😅 I'm worried about the psu because the i7 8700 and gtx 1650 together, with2 x 8gb ram, 2 x 256gb ssd and 1tb hdd I'm sure is cutting it close to the 300watts, i even disconnected my dvd rw to try save some watts.
  • DANeighty6
    Leostat said:
    100 is a tad high but as long as its not sustained it isnt too bad. Im not to sure on the supported coolers though as OEM's generally have differnt mounts, so i will let somone else chip in if they have any recomendations :)
    Thats 100 Celsius not farenheit (im not actually sure what is too hot tbh but that would boil water) and 88 Celsius during gaming, its almost 60 celcius just watching youtube.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @DANeighty6

I think you read the Memory tab of CPU-Z, it is 1333 MHz for single channel. If you read the SPD tab, it should show 2666 MHz, so nothing to worry about there. I have a TC-885-UA91, should be similar to yours but using i3-9100 CPU.

The TC-885 wasn't designed as a gaming PC, but somehow, people like to upgrade their general purpose PC to be a gaming machine. There is only one PC case fan slot, unlike a real gaming PC that allows 5-7 case fans.The stock PSU for TC-885 is at 300 W, should be good for the GTX 10xx series. Using a GTX 1650 graphics card with this PSU is really stretching to its limit, but still barely capable. Changing to something higher than 500W will ensure some reserve power. Since TC-885 still using standard ATX PSU, it is easy to get from open market.

80C temperature is normal for graphics card temperature while gaming.
    100C temperature is too high for CPU, and it should cause a forced PC shutdown at any moment.
    To cool it down a little, I"ll suggest getting a somewhat overdesigned CPU cooler in the 125-165W TDP range designed specificaly for Intel CPU, that is, the CPU cooler using four big thumb screws, which should allow removing the CPU cooler and the CPU easily. Try not to get those type that are generic for both AMD and Intel CPU types, as that may involve unseating the whole motherboard and some other assemblying to put it on. That will be like 1-2 more hours of job. Make some measurements for the dimensions allowed for the CPU cooler. A 200W TDP CPU cooler may be even better for cooling, but it is too big for the TC-885 motherboard/PC case. Do a clean thermal re-paste while putting the new CPU cooler of course.

As far as fan noisy, all I can think of is to clean the fans of the graphics card and spray some compressed air to the other parts there.

Should improve the situation a little.
  • Leostat
    300w really is enough!, it doesnt leave much headroom but you should be fine for at least a few years of use. https://outervision.com/b/b2gUiS The 1650 + 8700 sip power compared to some of the bigger chips

As ttttt says, 100c on the cpu is a tad high, 100 is the TJunction max, if its hitting that in normal use then id be worried. Whats it hitting in games / general use?
  • DANeighty6
    Leostat said:
    300w really is enough!, it doesnt leave much headroom but you should be fine for at least a few years of use. https://outervision.com/b/b2gUiS The 1650 + 8700 sip power compared to some of the bigger chips

As ttttt says, 100c on the cpu is a tad high, 100 is the TJunction max, if its hitting that in normal use then id be worried. Whats it hitting in games / general use?
    In general use, which is watching youtube browsing the web for me, it sits at around 40c, whilst gaming i just had a little game of apex legends and it hit 96c max (msi afterburner)
  • DANeighty6
    edited February 2022
    ttttt said:
    @DANeighty6

I think you read the Memory tab of CPU-Z, it is 1333 MHz for single channel. If you read the SPD tab, it should show 2666 MHz, so nothing to worry about there. I have a TC-885-UA91, should be similar to yours but using i3-9100 CPU.

The TC-885 wasn't designed as a gaming PC, but somehow, people like to upgrade their general purpose PC to be a gaming machine. There is only one PC case fan slot, unlike a real gaming PC that allows 5-7 case fans.The stock PSU for TC-885 is at 300 W, should be good for the GTX 10xx series. Using a GTX 1650 graphics card with this PSU is really stretching to its limit, but still barely capable. Changing to something higher than 500W will ensure some reserve power. Since TC-885 still using standard ATX PSU, it is easy to get from open market.

80C temperature is normal for graphics card temperature while gaming.
    100C temperature is too high for CPU, and it should cause a forced PC shutdown at any moment.
    To cool it down a little, I"ll suggest getting a somewhat overdesigned CPU cooler in the 125-165W TDP range designed specificaly for Intel CPU, that is, the CPU cooler using four big thumb screws, which should allow removing the CPU cooler and the CPU easily. Try not to get those type that are generic for both AMD and Intel CPU types, as that may involve unseating the whole motherboard and some other assemblying to put it on. That will be like 1-2 more hours of job. Make some measurements for the dimensions allowed for the CPU cooler. A 200W TDP CPU cooler may be even better for cooling, but it is too big for the TC-885 motherboard/PC case. Do a clean thermal re-paste while putting the new CPU cooler of course.

As far as fan noisy, all I can think of is to clean the fans of the graphics card and spray some compressed air to the other parts there.

Should improve the situation a little.
    Yeah i wanted a cheap little gamer to replace my old office/gamer hp elite 8200 (i7 2600, ddr 3), the hp case was much bigger and cpu cooler is almost twice as thick as the one in this acer. (Cant put that cooler in acer though because screws dont line up)

When you say 10xx series that would include the 1050ti which has the same powerdraw of 75w solely from pcie port like the gtx 1650.

I really want to know an exact cpu and cooler which will install that easy that i can get in the uk, all i read is about how everyone has to remove the mobo to get the stock threads out of the way.. i do want one that will just screw down on top nice and easy 2 min job, but im guessing they dont have a standard size thread in the mobo cpu posts.

I have already cleaned all dust from the machine and applied fresh thermal paste.

Is there a way for me to control my fans? It seems they wait till the cpu is almost 90 before it blasts full speed for a couple seconds then ramps back down.. id rather they go half of their full power at 50c and speed up if temps increase to stop it getting that high in the first place.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    If you really want to look at your power load, pick up a Kill A Watt meter and put it between the computer and the wall outlet. I think you'll find you aren't getting even very close to the 300W rating.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DANeighty6
    billsey said:
    If you really want to look at your power load, pick up a Kill A Watt meter and put it between the computer and the wall outlet. I think you'll find you aren't getting even very close to the 300W rating.
    Ok good to know thanks.. i just dont want to start a fire or something 😅 
  • DANeighty6
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-C600-3-in-1-Heatsink-Cooling-Fan-A700-LGA115X-Socket-1150-1151-CPU-Cooler-/154779224499?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

im guessing this cooler will not work because it has push down clips (they will not engage with the threads in the mobo i dont think, not without removing the mobo and taking out the threads at least)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CPU-Cooler-Cooling-Fan-9cm-Copper-Heatsink-for-Intel-LGA-775-1150-1151-1155-/173519513154?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Will this just install onto the existing threads do you think?
  • ttttt
    @DANeighty6

Thew two links that you provided are the kind that I mentioned, having four thumb screws, for Intel only and for LGA 1151 (the right type for your i7-8700 CPU) socket. However, I could not see the designed thermal  power ratings. Judging from the picture, the top one (refurbished) probably has TDP of about 65W, will not be of any improvements from your stock CPU cooler. 

The second link seemed better (if has more heat sink materials and wider fan diameter), but still don't know the TDP rating, I guess it maybe still having TDP of less than 100W).

Usually, higher TDP rating CPU coolers having more heat sink materials and wider fan diameters. That's why I suggested you to measure the dimensions of the maximum size CPU cooler you can install to your TC-885, so you can buy one with maximum TDP rating possible.
  • DANeighty6
    edited February 2022
    ttttt said:
    @DANeighty6

Thew two links that you provided are the kind that I mentioned, having four thumb screws, for Intel only and for LGA 1151 (the right type for your i7-8700 CPU) socket. However, I could not see the designed thermal  power ratings. Judging from the picture, the top one (refurbished) probably has TDP of about 65W, will not be of any improvements from your stock CPU cooler. 

The second link seemed better (if has more heat sink materials and wider fan diameter), but still don't know the TDP rating, I guess it maybe still having TDP of less than 100W).

Usually, higher TDP rating CPU coolers having more heat sink materials and wider fan diameters. That's why I suggested you to measure the dimensions of the maximum size CPU cooler you can install to your TC-885, so you can buy one with maximum TDP rating possible.
    I've settled on one of these which are designed for tdp of 130w, its 13.7 cm tall so should leave a cm or 2 clearance of case cover. It is however a hybrid, it has screw on adapter but the adapters attach to the heatsink and not the mobo so should screw down like a traditional intel cpu cooler.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xilence-Performance-C-Series-i402-Processor-Cooler-for-lga1156-lga1155-xc026-/294655603943?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=724-127637-2357-0

Another link which shows the tdp rating.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xilence-XC026-INTEL-COOLER-PERFORMANCE/dp/B00WGLWXWO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=3DFWW4I9VGAGL&keywords=xilence+i402&qid=1645363844&sprefix=xilence+i402,aps,195&sr=8-1
  • DANeighty6
    In my previous post i said should leave a cm or 2 of clearance... I meant to say mm not cm. If it is slightly too tall i am prepared to cut my case cover to accommodate. (But im hoping it will just fit)
  • DANeighty6
    edited February 2022
    In the meantime i have made a Frankenstein cooler out of my hp cooler and acer cooler, there is a layer of thermal grease and gravity connecting the two 😅 i would have preferred to screw them together with thermal paste between but i didn't have the screws or tools, the acer cooler is screwed to the mobo as normal.

• DANeighty6

highest temps during cpu test now 97 degrees c as opposed to 100 c, and highest the cpu reached during the demo and graphics test 1 and 2 was 72.50 degrees c
  • ttttt
    @DANeighty6

I'll feel more comfortable with the one that shows the TDP rating.

Another thing you can do is to remove the PC side panel.
    It is common to see people living in hot and humid area using their PC with the side panel removed for better cooling even it means more frequent PC vacuuming.
  • DANeighty6
    edited February 2022
    ttttt said:
    @DANeighty6

I'll feel more comfortable with the one that shows the TDP rating.

Another thing you can do is to remove the PC side panel.
    It is common to see people living in hot and humid area using their PC with the side panel removed for better cooling even it means more frequent PC vacuuming.
    🤷🏻‍♂️ They are both the same model... I just provided the amazon link to show the tdp as the ebay one did not.

I changed my mind again anyway.. I'm looking at an arctic i13x now, tdp of 150w.

I have tried removing the side panel but it makes very little difference, the problem is the sheer lack of metal on the heatsink and very poor airflow, i have no idea what acer was thinking giving such a poor heatsink with an i7 8700 and having very little airflow, or intel for that matter they ship the 8th gen cpus with a weak heatsink.
    Also i live in england, it is winter here now ambient temps are not going to get any colder they are going to increase.

If the new cooler doesnt achieve the temps or volume levels i want i am going to attack the case with a dremel and drill to fit a front fan as intake to get some actual usable airflow in that hotbox of a case, i already have an exhaust fan.
  • ttttt
    @DANeighty6

Good luck with your upcoming ambitious project then. 
    Let us know how it turn out.
  • DANeighty6
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    @ttttt
    @lubu
    @billsey
    @leostat

Ok so i tried to install the arctic i13 x without removing the mobo, the threads were the same size but... When it was all screwed down it was not making contact with the cpu.

So had to pull the mobo out remove plastic acer backplate which was stuck down with double sided tape  and install the metal backplate which came with the cooler. 

The cooler only just fits in the case with the side panel closed.

Temps are around 20 degrees Celsius cooler than stock sitting at around 70 degrees c compared to 90 degrees c (occasionally would hit 100 c) and noise has completely disappeared.

Could not be more happy! 😁😁

• DANeighty6
    Going by the size difference, im surprised it isnt positively cold in my case, maybe a Dremel and drill could improve that 😅 ill leave it as it is for now until it sounds like a jet trying to take off again at least.