Why do I have two types of RAM in my new desktop?

Just checked my RAM on my new Aspire and found that I have 12GB of memory but they are different types.  

C:\Windows\system32>wmic memorychip get devicelocator, speed
DeviceLocator  Speed
DIMM1          3200
DIMM2          2667

So, in reality, I have 12GB running 2667.  Seems to be a little dicey of ACER.

Answers

• Hi,
    It might have been due to availability of the 3200MHz module at the time of assembly and 2667MHz module wasn't available, I assume that you have a 4GB onboard memory +8GB module in your laptop, please provide the model name, like A3xx-xx.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @gwinegarden

Without knowing your PC's model number, the following is a possible scenario:

You probably had 4GB soldered RAM with the PC and one 8 GB added to the user accessible RAM slot later. Both added RAM and soldered RAM have different spec ( How did you add this RAM? Checked the soldered RAM spec before adding one?).

Your PC's motherboard probably can support both 3200 and 2666 MHz speed, but one memory stick has lower speed of 2666 MHz, so the motherboard runs at 2666 MHZ to ensure compatibility.

Or your motherboard can only support 2666 MHz, any RAM that runs faster than 2666 MHz will still runs at 2666 MHz as limited by motherboard bus speed.