Upgrade CPU for Acer Aspire TC-705

alphane
alphane Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hi, recently I obtained an old PC from my friend which is Acer Aspire TC-705 with I3 4160,DDR3 2GB Ram and 500GB HDD. I already upgrade it to 8gb Ram(1333mhz), put in a GTX970,add an asus wifi 6 card, a Samsung Evo 860 256gb and change the power supply to 550W. I have test it using Devil May Cry 5, it can perform very well. 1080p on High setting, it can maintain solid 60fps without problem.

However, since i3 4160 is a 2 core 4 thread processor, when I try multitasking, I can see a very serious delay on certain task. For example I am playing a 1080p video using youtube and try to open others software such as office word, it will stuck like 2 second before the software get open. If I extract a big file using WinRar and try to do other things the delay is more obvious. If I doing things one by one, it run absolutely fine. So I am thinking to upgrade the processor to a better one.

After go through google look for others experience, finally my choice come to 3 processors as below:
i7 4790 - USD 98
i5 4690k - - USD 77
Xeon E3 1281 v3 - USD 97

I would like to know is Acer Aspire TC-705(motherboard MS-7869 version 1.0) support Xeon E3 1281 v3?
Anyone can provide me the temperature and performance different for i5 4690k(stock clock) vs i7 4790? 

Thank you.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe unless you want to get into revamping the cooling system, the baddest CPU you can drop in will be the i7-4790. It's got the same 84W power as the i3 and i5 they shipped with, so doesn't create more heat. The i7-4790K, although it only pulls marginally more power, can't use any of the 'K' features since the BIOS doesn't support overclocking.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    I believe unless you want to get into revamping the cooling system, the baddest CPU you can drop in will be the i7-4790. It's got the same 84W power as the i3 and i5 they shipped with, so doesn't create more heat. The i7-4790K, although it only pulls marginally more power, can't use any of the 'K' features since the BIOS doesn't support overclocking.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alphane
    alphane Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    How about the Xeon E3 1281 v3?Is that motherboard support the CPU? Bios version P11.B4L

• billsey
    No Xeon support I'm afraid...
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    alphane said:
    billsey said:
    How about the Xeon E3 1281 v3?Is that motherboard support the CPU? Bios version P11.B4L

If I may just add some more info for you and to assist you to get the max potential of your setup for multitasking and increase especially gaming, my suggestion to you is to upgrade to the i7-4790 not the K or S or T (as outlined by billsey) and also as suggested that these CPU's have a much higher TDP of 88W (which means the heat released when the processor reaches its maximum load in watts) in comparison to your OEM i3-4160 of 54W, as you will have to upgrade the CPU cooling system for and especially when playing games to a better setup. Also these CPU's can handle 32 GB max (2x 16GB DDR3-1600MHz) type memory into their memory slots as that is the max that these 4th Gen Intel CPU's like the i7-4790K and the i3-4610 can handle (to be sure run the Crucial System Scanner as that will tell you and explain to you why manufacturers quote 16GB and Crucial quotes 32GB) btw, I've done this with a 3rd Gen 3610QM CPU that Acer quoted 8GB max and Crucial suggested 16GB and I increased it to 16GB and it worked 100%. Also the memory types for these 4th Gen CPU's is of the DDR3-1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.5V @ 240-pin DIMM that will work just fine with these CPU's. Good luck and hope this helps you  out some more.