I bought Monitor QG241Y and I got a 15 AMP power cable along with it.

Options
AnuG
AnuG Member Posts: 2 New User
Will this monitor work on regular 5 amp laptop / desktop cables ? otherwise this needs to be returned as it is of no use to me.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hello Anu.
    AnuG

Yes, it should work fine.  Sorry for the long answer!

According to the Specification details for the Monitor QG241Y, it has a typical power consumption of 16.7W and a maximum of 54W. So the display indicates a max draw of 54W. Even if your location uses 110-120V, then 54W is about 0.46A. And if your location uses 220-240V, then it’s only 0.23A. So even 5A should be more than enough for the display.

A 15 amp rating is pretty typical for PC power cords because typical household electrical circuits are rated for 15 amps, so that gives the power cord a bit of headroom even if you're using a device that is consuming the entire capacity of that electrical circuit.  But that doesn't mean that every device that ships with a 15 amp power cord actually needs that much power.  
    You didn't specify what country you're in, so I don't know what voltage your location uses, but for example, the US uses 120V, and 15 amps at 120V is 1800W.  That's far more than even high-end gaming PCs use.  

You didn't specify what country you're in, so I don't know what voltage your location uses, but for example, the US uses 120V, and 15 amps at 120V is 1800W.  That's far more than even high-end gaming PCs use. So if your power cord is rated for 15 amps, even at 120V that's still 1800W, i.e. far more than your display should ever consume. 

Higher amperage requires thicker wiring to carry safely. There's no danger to using a high amperage cable with a low amperage device. You'll just have a bigger, heavier cable than you actually need.  And desktop displays are low amperage devices.  But you should never use a low amperage cable with a high amperage device since that can create a fire hazard.

Hope this information helps!

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • AnuG
    AnuG Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi I am in India
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    @AnuG

Sorry for the late reply. In India where voltage standards are at 230 V @ 50 hz. Generally, the common sockets are at 6 amps for computer/peripherals & the 16 amps are used for the heavy-duty appliances here.
    It seems like it would be completely fine to plug the display into a 6A/5A socket.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!