GX-281 What is the point of the big metal wall that covers 40% of the side and is it safe to remove?

Yep
Yep Member Posts: 7 New User
That wall has been bugging me ever since I bought the PC over 4 years ago. It makes it completely impossible to access the SSD and makes it hard to do anything else in the PC. So I want to remove it, but I'm not sure if it has an important function.

Answers

• Yep
    Yep Member Posts: 7 New User
    Here's a pic of it. Ignore the hanging SSD, I couldn't find a better spot for it since the shelf is inaccessible.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    There will be a lack of airflow if you can get the cover on.
    I'd install behind with zip ties to hold it. 
    This video may help as to removing the wall.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgK2dDq-vHI

There are also mounting brackets available.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ssd+bracket&i=electronics&crid=2OIGLG3ZPS7WA&sprefix=ssd+bracket,electronics,63&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Yep

This metal wall seemed to be useless, bothered me at the beginning like you, but it is actually the designed HDD tray. 
    You may want to remove it first and then mount your HDD/SSD to the back side of it flat and put it back. Connectors can be inserted/removed through the rectangular service holes if you have the need to do it without removing the HDD tray again. I need these rectangular service holes because I have a data cable sharing between two drives from time to time.

This piece of big metal also acts like a big heat sink. 
    I mounted a server HDD ( supposed to be running hotter than regular spinning HDD) there and found out that the server HDD temperature acceptable without using specialized heat sink.

This HDD tray can be removed easily by removing a few screws, and now I appreciate this HDD tray. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    That is the drive mounting plate, used for 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs and SSDs. If you notice, there are mounting holes for two drives, one sideways in relation to the other.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.