How do I troubleshoot a hardware/driver issue?

edBenji38
edBenji38 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 2022 in All-In-One PCs
When I am running too many programs, typically during YouTube or Netflix, my computer freezes. Not just the screen, but the keyboard, mouse, and audio.

I think I have a hardware problem. I wiped everything and rebooted Windows, still freezes. I opened the back of my 'all-in-one' and sprayed some air, still freezes.

My knowledge of the workings of a computer are probably, 1.732 / 10. But I am really motivated to learn. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    For a first step, try booting in safe mode with networking and see if it still happens. If the problem goes away it's not likely to be hardware since all you have done is disable a bunch of software. If it still happen in safe mode try booting to the BIOS and wander around for (likely) a long time. Can you see anything glitchy there as well? If so it's almost definitely hardware, if not it's more likely an issue with Windows itself.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • edBenji38 said:
    When I am running too many programs, typically during YouTube or Netflix, my computer freezes. Not just the screen, but the keyboard, mouse, and audio.

I think I have a hardware problem. I wiped everything and rebooted Windows, still freezes. I opened the back of my 'all-in-one' and sprayed some air, still freezes.

My knowledge of the workings of a computer are probably, 1.732 / 10. But I am really motivated to learn. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    edBenji38

Just as an addition, you are probably over using the capability of your desktop or laptops memory and hardware resources, what is the model number of your PC? As not every system can run intensive applications if their specs are low and incapable to handle your requirements.

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @edBenji38,

May I know the full model name of your unit.