Trying to fix corrupted CMOS on legacy Aspire X3990

Options
athiffau
athiffau Member Posts: 2 New User
I am trying to give a second life to a perfectly good X3990 that has a corrupted bios. Its my fault... after cleaning the system I tried to update the bios from Windows 10 thinking that the software would tell me if it did not support that version of the OS but instead the process froze. I know that its an old PC but it ran really well after a re-install and could be useful to someone.

At the moment when the PC boots I get 1x long followed by 1x short beep - which is not listed as one of the possible beep codes. Unfortunately at this time I don't have a PCIe post card available to confirm that this mean a corrupted bios - but since the process froze on me, I think its pretty safe to assume that it is.

I also found a service manual for a different model that details how to clear the CMOS. Since the motherboard has a CLR_CMOS jumper I started with that.

Clearing CMOS

You may need to clear the Setup configuration values (CMOS) if the configuration has been corrupted, or if
incorrect settings made in the Setup Utility caused error messages to be unreadable. This procedure will clear
the BIOS supervisor password as well.
Use the CLR_CMOS jumper to clear the CMOS data.
• 1-2 position: Normal operation (default)
• 2-3 position: Clear CMOS data
To clear the CMOS data:
1.Turn off the power to the computer and all peripherals.
2.Unplug the power cord from the computer.
3.Unplug the network cable and all connected peripheral devices from the computer.
4.Place the computer on a flat, steady surface with the rear cover facing upward.
5.Remove the computer cover by following the procedures described on page 26.
6.Remove the graphics card by following the procedure described on page 34.
7.If necessary, remove any other assemblies or cables that prevent access to the CLR_CMOS jumper.
8. Locate the CLR_CMOS jumper on the mainboard
9.Remove the jumper block and set it over the 2-3 pins for 20 to 30 seconds
10. Return the jumper block to its default 1-2 position.
11. Reinstall the graphics card.
12. Reinstall any other assemblies or cables that have previously been removed.
13. Reinstall the computer cover.
14. Connect the power cord to the system.
15. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
16. During POST, press Delete to access the Setup Utility.
17. Press F9 to load the system default values.
18. Press F10 to save the changes you made and close the Setup Utility

This procedure did not work for me. I tried a number of times but the system gives me the same beep code over and over again.

So now I want to try the bios recovery method described in the manual here:

BIOS Recovery

AMIBIOS supports a "recovery flash" mode, which can be used to flash update a BIOS from the boot block.
This is used to update a BIOS image without the need to boot to an operating system. The following is the
process that user should follow to flash BIOS ROM.
Put the AMIBoot.ROM to a bootable USB flash drive(Disk on Key, DOK).
1. Install the DOK to the system.
2. Press power button to boot the system and then press Ctrl + Home.
3. The BIOS recovery function will be executed.
4. After BIOS is updated completely, the system will auto reboot.
5. Please enter the setup menu to load default after system reboot.

My questions are:
1. the USB should be bootable with what DOS, Linux, Windows PE ? I hope its not DOS... don't know where to get that anymore.
2. What is a DOK?  Is it the DOK folder found in the BIOS zip file?
3. Do I simply copy the the DOK folder to the root of the bootable USB key?
4. Do I need to start the process with an autoexec.bat file or similar?
5. Is there a specific USB port that I should use?

Best Answer

• athiffau
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for your input but I already had that info.

For others trying to rescue their desktop as described above, I found the solution by searching for "AMIBOOT.ROM".

The solution is simple, rename the <file_name>.B2 to AMIBOOT.ROM and put it on the root of any USB key. Insert the USB key in any port on the problematic system and power it up. System will restore itself.

BIOS screen comes up on the right page. I then reset the NVRAM and updated to the P01-B2 bios.

System runs fine now.  I recommend to Acer that they clarify the steps add this important information to the instructions. It's so easy in the end.

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are having these problems as with "One long beep then two short beep" means this from the X3990 service manual Beep Codes:

Unfortunately you have damaged the BIOS as you should have upgraded with BIOS version P01.B2 or if you intended running Linux then version P01.B2L which has a Readme file (see attachment below) that clearly explains the BIOS flash process 

X3990 BIOS Recovery

AMIBIOS supports a "recovery flash" mode, which can be used to flash update a BIOS from the boot block. This is used to update a BIOS image without the need to boot to an operating system. The following is the process that user should follow to flash BIOS ROM.

1. Put the AMIBoot.ROM to a bootable USB flash drive(Disk on Key, DOK).

2. Install the DOK to the system.

3. Press power button to boot the system and then press Ctrl + Home.

4. The BIOS recovery function will be executed.

5. After BIOS is updated completely, the system will auto reboot. 

6. Please enter the setup menu to load default after system reboot.

• athiffau
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for your input but I already had that info.

For others trying to rescue their desktop as described above, I found the solution by searching for "AMIBOOT.ROM".

The solution is simple, rename the <file_name>.B2 to AMIBOOT.ROM and put it on the root of any USB key. Insert the USB key in any port on the problematic system and power it up. System will restore itself.

BIOS screen comes up on the right page. I then reset the NVRAM and updated to the P01-B2 bios.

System runs fine now.  I recommend to Acer that they clarify the steps add this important information to the instructions. It's so easy in the end.