Find instructions & battery for bulging Swift Alpha 12 SA5-271 - screen popping off left side

Swift12_User
Swift12_User Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 2022 in Switch Series
Looking for battery replacement instructions and sourcing to repair a Swift Alpha 12 (SA5-271)The battery doesn't hold a proper charge anymore, generates WAY more heat than before, and the screen is being forced out of the frame by the bloated battery.
Thanks.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Swift12_User

Tinkerer

Hello @billsey and @Acer-Manny_Retired.   I've been scouring this site since posting my issue, and I see your names mentioned in regards to the same issue.  Would either of you have disassembly instructions for the SA5-271 ?  Thanks.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Let me ask the moderators to move your thread to the appropriate section. Your model is a Switch Alpha 12, not Swift Alpha 12 and should be in the Switch laptops section...
    Anyway, you remove the kickstand from the arms with the two screws on either side. Next there are two screws hidden under little silver tabs on the sides under where the kickstand usually sits when closed. Remove those two screws. Once they are gone you can carefully pry the case halves apart. When loose be sure to not let them split apart too quickly because there's a ribbon cable that runs from the motherboard to the pogo pins and it's easy to rip it. You want to disconnect it from the motherboard before taking the case halves fully apart. Once you are at that point the rest is pretty self evident.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Swift12_User

Tinkerer

Thanks very much @billsey!  That's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to watch out for, much appreciated.

To any and all Switch Alpha 12 users - I have now read many posts here and across the internet about this issue.  It seems that many of you were DM'd by Acer representatives when you brought this issue up, and then the thread ends.  Can you tell me if Acer has been extending any post-warranty support for this battery/bulging-breaking screen issue?  There have been several times where my battery/rear of screen has been extremely hot (as in dangerously hot).  I'm curious to know if Acer has recognized this as a safety issue due to faulty original batteries?  Thanks.

• billsey
    We never heard for sure, but I believe that is the case for many users who had the issue show up post warranty period. There's no way to know if that has continued, but it has been enough years now that I think it unlikely. You can try a PM to an appropriate moderator to find out for sure.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Swift12_User

Tinkerer

Hello @billsey , and anyone else that has replaced a battery in Switch Alpha 12.  I got the thing apart (thanks for those instructions), replaced the battery with an Amazon purchase, and now, a problem.  I have "Battery is not detected" in the taskbar icon in Windows 10.
    The battery is installed.  The following happens:
      - The PC must be plugged in to get past the BIOS boot phase. 
      - If not plugged in, the BIOS setup screen appears for 1 second (when pressing "F2"), and then the PC turns off. 
      - If not plugged in, and not pressing F2, no screen ever appears and the PC turns off.
      - When plugged in, and pressing F2, the BIOS setup screen appears, but there is no "Battery" section shown.  Usually the battery is available to test, along with SSD and 
      - When plugged in, and not pressing F2, the PC boots just fine into Windows 10.  I can remove the plugged-in power at this point and use the PC as normal.  However, the taskbar shows "Battery is not detected".  (I suspect the battery is not being charged if plugged in.)

I've tried removing the battery in Device Manager, nothing of value happens with that.
    The battery is not detected in BIOS at the most basic level, so this has nothing to do with Windows 10.

Does anyone have experience with solving "Battery is not detected", after replacing the battery?

Thanks in advance for any useful input.

• Swift12_User

Tinkerer

I put the old battery back in to test to make sure I hadn't messed anything up.  The old battery works fine, is recognized, charges, all good (except the fact that it looks more like a balloon than a battery...).  Does anyone know of a reputable source (in Canada if possible) for a replacement battery AP16B4J / KT.00204.003 Thanks.

• billsey
    It sure sounds like you got a bum battery. :( Maybe just try a different vendor on Amazon? Amazon has a really decent return policy, so you can give different vendors a try until one sends you a functional one. I got lucky with mine and the first one worked...