The max ram and speed Of my Acer Aspire 4741

0Steppher0
0Steppher0 Member Posts: 10 New User
I'm going to upgrade the ram of my Acer Aspire 4741 so I want to know what is the max ram my laptop can support? and the max speed?

Is the max ram only applied in each slot or in total slots?

Best Answers

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,801 Trailblazer
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    I'm going to upgrade the ram of my Acer Aspire 4741 so I want to know what is the max ram my laptop can support? and the max speed?

Also its advantageous to try and do a Crucial System Scanner that will give you all the appropriate newer higher spec RAM that will work with your old laptop and which will give you also the usual 2.5" SSD drives upgrades that is appropriate also for your laptop that Crucial makes. Btw an i7 CPU is also a good upgrade for this laptop like the Core i7-640M so consider that also. The 4741 supports 8GB max total at 2x 4GB into its 2x slots with DIMM speeds of either 1066Mhz or1333MHz 204-pin SO-DIMM as quoted by Acer at that time. Below are the RAM slot combinations that you can use:

• 0Steppher0
    StevenGen said:

Also its advantageous to try and do a Crucial System Scanner that will give you all the appropriate newer higher spec RAM that will work with your old laptop and which will give you also the usual 2.5" SSD drives upgrades that is appropriate also for your laptop that Crucial makes. Btw an i7 CPU is also a good upgrade for this laptop like the Core i7-640M so consider that also. The 4741 supports 8GB max total at 2x 4GB into its 2x slots with DIMM speeds of either 1066Mhz or1333MHz 204-pin SO-DIMM as quoted by Acer at that time. Below are the RAM slot combinations that you can use:
    Oh, Thanks. I tried a command but it said a different max ram(16GB) than what you said(8GB), is the command wrong?

Also, you mentioned the Core i7-640M, how do you upgrade that? can I upgrade it on my own or ask someone?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,801 Trailblazer
    edited January 2022
    StevenGen said:

Oh, Thanks. I tried a command but it said a different max ram(16GB) than what you said(8GB), is the command wrong?

Also, you mentioned the Core i7-640M, how do you upgrade that? can I upgrade it on my own or ask someone?

If you mean “Command gave 16GB” did you do a memory check at command prompt with “wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity” command and divided the result by 4194304 to give you 16? How did you do it to give you 16GB? Use the “Crucial Scan” as its more accurate and correct. Btw, this happened to me with an old Aspire V3-571G with the Intel i7-3610QM CPU’s Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) is 32 GB at memory type DDR3/L/-RS 1333/1600MHz with the Chipset HM77 which is a newer laptop than yours with newer CPU and different RAM specs than yours.

Also remember that the Intel specs for the Intel® Core™ i7-640M or i5 520M or i3 330M with the chipset HM55 that came in the Aspire 4741 and the 4741G laptops their Intel spec Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) is 8GB at DDR3 800Mhz or DDR3-1066MHz and with the i7-640 CPU you could probably get away with DDR3-1600MHz not sure so check with the “Crucial Scan” and see what they recommend with the new spec memory that they make as that is what I did with the Aspire V3-571G and they recommended 16GB 2x 8GB at DDR3-1600MHz when Acer recommended 8GB max 2x 4GB DDR-1600Mhz for my Aspire V3-571G and it worked 100%.

To change the CPU to the higher Intel® Core™ i7-640M 4MB L3 Cache at 2.80GHz to 3.46GHz Turbo you have to disassemble the laptop and take the motherboard out and change the OEM CPU to the new one as they just unplug and plug the higher CPU in then use a higher grade paste like the “Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut” so do that and also use a 2.5" SSD SATA3 6GB/sec as that will speed up your laptop with all these upgrades to at least 200% faster speeds, good luck.

• 0Steppher0
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

If you mean “Command gave 16GB” did you do a memory check at command prompt with “wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity” command and divided the result by 4194304 to give you 16? How did you do it to give you 16GB? Use the “Crucial Scan” as its more accurate and correct.

Yeah, I used that command, I guess it's not accurate. I also did the crucial scan and it says 8GB.

Thanks for the info and for the suggestion to upgrade the core. Now I can be sure.