Acer Aspire Z5771 can't install bootable Windows 10

Luposian
Luposian Member Posts: 3 New User
I got this system with Windows 7 (4Gb RAM) on it.  But it wouldn't update.  So figured I'd install Windows 10 on it (to make it a more useful/secure computer).  Well, everything SEEMS to go along fine.  Installation goes smoothly and it reboots.  But after several minutes ("Setting devices up... please wait... etc.), it goes to a blue screen (no, not BSOD!) with a "Please wait..." and then goes black.  And it never goes to a desktop.  I wiggle the mouse, click, tap keyboard keys... nothing.  Just a black screen.  I'm currently reinstalling Windows 10 via the very latest version Microsoft USB Boot Tool installer to see if that helps, but I'm not holding my breath.  For all the still useful hardware in this computer... it may be an obsoleted paperweight!  If anyone has any ideas, please fill me in.  I'm at the end of my rope.  As a computer tech, I thrive on problems like this... but it's stumping me!

Answers

• Luposian
    Ok, the latest updated Boot Tool seems to have worked... I'm setting up my system with Cortana.  I'll update this post as things unfold...
  • Luposian
    Ok, it's up and running.  I'm updating Windows 10!  4Gb of RAM is probably choking it like crazy, but that's upgradable.  The Z5771 will NOT run Windows 11, but we still have 4 more useful years (we're good til 2025) before this computer is rendered effectively and entirely obsolete (no more Windows 10 updates/security patches, etc.), unless a version of Linux will still work on it.  But, for those seeking an answer to their Windows 10 path... this system CAN travel there!  Enjoy!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited January 2022
    Luposian said:
    Ok, it's up and running.  I'm updating Windows 10!  4Gb of RAM is probably choking it like crazy, but that's upgradable.  The Z5771 will NOT run Windows 11, but we still have 4 more useful years (we're good til 2025) before this computer is rendered effectively and entirely obsolete (no more Windows 10 updates/security patches, etc.), unless a version of Linux will still work on it.  But, for those seeking an answer to their Windows 10 path... this system CAN travel there!  Enjoy!

Hey Luposian you can also upgrade the OEM CPU (if you dont have an i7 type) to the top 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770S LGA 3.1G to 3.9G turbo at L3 cache of 8M socket 1155 CPU and upgrade the  memory RAM to 2x 4GB DDR3-1333Mhz type and also upgrade the OEM 2.5" spinner HDD to a 2.5" SATA3 6GB/sec (as SATA3 will work with your Z5771) type SSD drive up to 2TB (as your BIOS is an MBR/Legacy and 2TB is the limit for that format) as these Z5771 AIO's also came with Win-8 installed and with a UEFI type BIOS that is the last BIOS update for the Z5771 the version P11.B0 that can handle bigger capacity drives over 2TB. Make also sure that you are running the last BIOS update for the MBR/Legacy BIOS the version P03.A2 but be warned when you do a BIOS update and be very careful with the update as if you don't know how to do it then get an experienced tech to do it for you as you could brick your PC and make it unusable. 

Btw, all of these upgrades will increase your speeds by over 200% to OEM and make your Z5771 AIO much better, btw I've done lots of the same upgrades to laptops and AIO's and desktops of the Z5771 vintage and these upgrades are unbelievable of how much they increase performance and usability of Win-10. Good luck and hope this helps you out further.