Acer Switch Alpha 12 screen coming out

niladri_ca
niladri_ca Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi.

I have been using  my Acer Alpha 12 switch Intel i7 8gb RAM for almost 4 years now. 

I love the feel and don't have any complaints about the system as such, and have never faced any heating, hanging or any other complication regarding it. ( Touchwood).

However, recently, I have a peculiar problem that has cropped up. The screen of the laptop is coming out by itself as shown in the attached photos. 

Has anyone else faced this issue? Acer service centre in India is of not much help. Frankly speaking for repairing it they charge a huge amount crossing almost USD 400 !!!.
Any help or information from other users will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Niladri

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    That the battery starting to bulge, pushing against the screen. A battery replacement is the best solution.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Acer's part number for the battery is: KT.00204.003. You certainly can replace it yourself, the hardest part is getting the case halves to come apart, and that's been done for you. :) You remove the two screws on each side of the kickstand, then one screw on each side of the tablet (might be under a little square bit of plastic), then pry the two halves apart. Disconnect the old battery and pull it out, put the new one it and connect it, then snap the case halves back together, replace the screws and the kickstand. Once that's done charge it fully, since you never know for sure what condition the battery is in, then fire it up for a few more years.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Be aware that if the bulge gets too bad it can put enough stress on the screen to crack it... And that's a lot more expensive to fix.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    That the battery starting to bulge, pushing against the screen. A battery replacement is the best solution.
  • niladri_ca

Tinkerer

Thanks for the update. What is the battery model?. Also is there any way of fixing it by myself. Like I can get the battery and replace it myself?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Acer's part number for the battery is: KT.00204.003. You certainly can replace it yourself, the hardest part is getting the case halves to come apart, and that's been done for you. :) You remove the two screws on each side of the kickstand, then one screw on each side of the tablet (might be under a little square bit of plastic), then pry the two halves apart. Disconnect the old battery and pull it out, put the new one it and connect it, then snap the case halves back together, replace the screws and the kickstand. Once that's done charge it fully, since you never know for sure what condition the battery is in, then fire it up for a few more years.
  • niladri_ca

Tinkerer

Great advice, Thanks!. Wish me luck in finding the battery and fixing it. Till then I'll be using it with the bulge! Ive been using it with this bulge for almost 3 months now!!!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Be aware that if the bulge gets too bad it can put enough stress on the screen to crack it... And that's a lot more expensive to fix.
  • Swift12_User
    Swift12_User Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello @niladri_ca.  I am having the exact same issue now.  My screen started coming off over a year ago, I thought it was just an adhesive issue until I found many other posts like yours.  Have you experienced extreme heating issues as well?  Mine gets so hot sometimes its dangerous to leave my hand in contact with the rear of the screen.
  • niladri_ca

Tinkerer

Hey @Swift12_User

Mine came off sometime in Sep of this year. No have not had any heating issues as of now, nor any other problem ( Touchwood)! But as correctly pointed out by @billsey it must be the battery bloating/ expanding. So I have ordered one battery it cost around $ 85 and am still waiting for it. Once it comes I'll get the battery replaced. I'll let you know after that how it works.!